Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Highlighted
Absent Member.. warrenf Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SM 9.30 - Process Designer

Greetings All,

Has anyone installed SM 9.30 yet and got their head around the new workflow and graphical process designer? I have got it installed and running and it looks pretty decent. The refinements to the Service Request Catalog are good. It is now almost a full replacement and improvement for SST. It still lacks the Approval Inbox (this was a killer feature when HP first introduced it) and KM searching, but these will be introduced soon I am sure. They managed to provide a date picker for Service Catalog options for 'Date' formatted text fields, that is a feature we have been asking for for a long time. I wonder why they omitted the spell checker in the SRC client?

But I really would like to get my head around the new Workflow mechanisms and the Process Designer. Setting up new process looks easy enough but actually viewing a workflow instance in execution seems a mystery and there don't seem to be any examples in SM showing this. Any background information on this would be very useful. Like what can't it do (this if often very useful information, as HP is pretty good about documenting what it can do), or what are it's limitations?

BTW I found the download on the Software Update site. Pity they shoved >2GB worth of Crystal Reports in the ISO image as it bloats the total image to 4.4GB.

Warren

0 Likes
6 Replies
Abhijit K Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SM 9.30 - Process Designer

Hi W,

thanks for sharing your experince. I am also eager to play with Workflow mechanisms and the Process Designer.

One question:

Both (Workflow mechanisms and the Process Designer) works with any module(like IM, PM) or restricted only for KM?

thanks and regards,

abhijit

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Abhijit,

It appears that the workflow and process designer is not limited to KM. You can specify any table when defining a workflow. You also need to specify in the Object record of the relevant table whether you want the workflow linked to the Object itself or the category referenced in the Object record.

So, saying that it is not limited to KM does not necessarily mean that it will definitely work with any other table. But if the new workflow solution is capable of driving workflow in any table/Object then we have some interesting possibilities. Curiously the workflow construct still seems to be based on the "phase" concept in Problem, Change and Request management. Which is not entirely a bad thing as this brings consistency in design. But let's use an example of wanting to graphically represent an Incident in it's lifecycle (something we have never been able to do before in SM) it leads me to thinking that we would now require "phases" in Incident Management, which is a new. However, if all the workflow requires to function is a field 'current.phase' and 'category' in the relevant table, them this would be simple enough to implement.

0 Likes
Abhijit K Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi W,

I raised query on forum regarding to show Incident status as phase wise like in problem and graphical representation for same as incident is in which phase.

link as follows:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Support-Forum/Graphical-phases-wise-representation-of-Incident-management-like/m-p/2415199/highlight/true#M1901
0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

At this initial release, only KM uses the Process Designer workflow engine.

Over the next year, updated application modules will be made available over HP Live Network as they are moved to the new workflow engine.

--The first expected module to be released is Change Management and at Discover they indicated that it would be out this Fall.

--There will be a process to upgrade the current Change build to the new Process Designer workflows.The new workflows will include new categories more closely aligned with ITIL v3 and what they've seen deployed in the field.

--I believe that the current category/phase definition architecture is replaced by the new workflow engine.

--Approval Group membership will no longer be tied to the change profiles (yay!).

--I'm not sure which modules follow Change, but eventually Process Designer will be extended to all application modules.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Absent Member..

Nice post John.

Thanks very much. Do you know if the new workflow mechanisms are extensible for custom tables?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Don't know much more than I mentioned above. I managed to talk to one of the developers for a little while while at Discover, and was specifically asking about change since it is the first major module to switch over.

If you mean, "will Process Designer allow you to reference, link to, and validate against custom tables" I believe so. If you mean: "will Process Designer allow you to build an entirely new workflow around a custom table(s)" I don't know. Even if the latter would be true, I wouldn't expect that to be an option until after the conversion of modules is complete, but I'm just guessing.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.