Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

SM 9.50 JavaMail

Jump to solution

Have anybody confirmed if the fatal design flaw in Javamail has been solved in SM 9.50?

Javamail in 9.41 delete the mails from the eventout queue before they are successfully delivered to the mail server. This means if the client fails delivery the mails will be LOST! This is in my opinion a fatal design flaw in the program logic.

Test by generate emails when Javamail is not running. Change the cfg file so javamal can't connect to a mailserver, a different port works for that. Then start it up and see the mails disappear from the eventout queue. (do not run in debug and do not have -keepmail on)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I tested it, and it's not fixed. Have you submitted a defect to HPE support?

Ling-Yan

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Run the mail program as:

sm -emailout -keepmail

and they won't get deleted from the eventout queue.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I know that but I think you missed the point.

Its ok that the Javamail delets the email AFTER it has been delivered to the mail server. It should NOT delete it before.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I tested it, and it's not fixed. Have you submitted a defect to HPE support?

Ling-Yan

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Nope, it will be much faster to write my own new email client. I did it 10 years ago I can do it again and make it much more reliable than HP's faulty solutions. I think it is absurd that they have two different email solutions with the same fatal design flaw. Javamail is the same as SCsmtp only new thing is support for html.

Thanks for confirming Ling-Yan, I was 99,99% sure that were the case but good it has been confirmed.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I just tested on 9.50 myself also. And it is actually worse than I thought.

Just starting the email process with sm -emailout WITHOUT any kind of configuration in sm.ini and ALL emails will be lost. Not even a simple check of parameters are present is done before emails are deleted from SM.

Anyway, I am currently writing my own email client. Let med know if you would be interested in replacing HP's scsmtp or javamail components with a more reliable email client? Functionality will be matchting that of javamail just without the bug.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have just testet Javamail on SM 9.51

The issue is still not solved. Lost emails is still the result if starting sm -emailout with no parameters in sm.ini

I have developed a replacement. It even includes a gui for easy configuration and setup.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Tommy Jensen,

If you like, I can help you to put your solution on the HPE live network, so that more people can download it.

https://hpln.hpe.com/product/service-manager/content?sort=popularity

Looking forward to your reply,

Ling-Yan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.