Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

SM 9.52 can not send emails

Jump to solution

Dear Expert ,
i have a problem , that SM 9.52 can not send emails
i have configried it and it was working ok . i just commented the email out line in sm.cfg for a while and when i get it back to work , the emails can not be sent

Please note the bellow

the email server we use is configred to send email without password authentication and it tested by using a command line tool to send emails to gmail external account and it worked ok , so we are sure from that the SM server can communicate to the SMTP server we use and this SMTP server can send emails OK to internal and external accounts

the bellow is line of email out in sm.cfg file
"sm -emailout -smtphost:10.19.254.30 -smtpport:25 -mailFrom:hpsm@te.eg -keepmail:0 -log:../logs/smtpservice.log" this was working 100%
i changed it to
"sm -emailout -smtphost:10.19.254.30 -smtpport:25 -mailFrom:hpsm@te.eg -log:../logs/smtpservice.log"
with no luck

whenever i restart sm service i see the message in the email out log file "SCEMAIL(JavaMail) terminated."

the SMTP service scheduler is started , as i checked by status command
the email reach the eventout ok , and when i tried to delete all items in eventout and restart the service , nothing changes ,

what do you think i can do ! . i appreciate your help 

Thanks and Best Regards
------------------------------
Amr Salah
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Inputs below is somehow related to your current issue, please validate further before applying on you environment.

Email processing from the eventout is dependent on the email counter from the system file called "scmail.chk" found in the run folder. It can be opened as text file and would show what as the last entry in eventout that were processed. Any value in the evsysseq field in the eventout greater than the count value in the scmail.chk file will be processed.; lower evsysseq value are already processed.

In our case, somewhere during configuration, this .chk file was modified and the sync to the eventout was disrupted somewhere. We have to manually edit the counter and set below the  evsysseq value of eventout - where we decided the email to be processed. After the restart, the issue was resolved.

Please exercise caution in doing so, ALL eventout record with evsysseq value greater than the counter will be processed. This was just an inputs and check to see if may help your issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I do not think the javamail application will work without supplying a userid and password.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another thing. Please be aware that if you do NOT use -keepmail parameter (ie keep mails after sent) you will loose emails in case javamail is unable to connect to the smtp server. This is a serious bug in both the SCsmtp and Javamail applications.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Thank you for your reply. 

regarding the password point , i'm sure it can be done becasue it was already working 

the authintication is done on the mail server by a rule the allow the sm server IP to send emails without authintication /

any other ideas ? your help is highly appreciated 

Thanks and Best Regards
Amr Salah
0 Likes
Highlighted

If it worked before you made a change then revert that change and see if it works again. 

Also check in the regular sm.log file for errors when javamail starts up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Inputs below is somehow related to your current issue, please validate further before applying on you environment.

Email processing from the eventout is dependent on the email counter from the system file called "scmail.chk" found in the run folder. It can be opened as text file and would show what as the last entry in eventout that were processed. Any value in the evsysseq field in the eventout greater than the count value in the scmail.chk file will be processed.; lower evsysseq value are already processed.

In our case, somewhere during configuration, this .chk file was modified and the sync to the eventout was disrupted somewhere. We have to manually edit the counter and set below the  evsysseq value of eventout - where we decided the email to be processed. After the restart, the issue was resolved.

Please exercise caution in doing so, ALL eventout record with evsysseq value greater than the counter will be processed. This was just an inputs and check to see if may help your issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi, good post. It works.

Thx

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi good to know my old post helps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

thank you , your idea is worked with me , sorry for the late thank you . 

Thanks and Best Regards
Amr Salah
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.