Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SM Configuration Tool don't ask for external DB

Hi Experts,

After installing SM Server 9.30, The configuration tool asks for Database type and connection informations.

In my case I have an external MSSQL DB, but the configuration tool doesnt ask me to enter the IP of the Host database. So as expected, it failes to test the connection and I can't continue further.

Could I continue the configuration without this step and add the DB connection data manully to the sm.ini?

Here is the sql part of my sm.ini

[sqlserver]
sqldb:***

sqllogin:***/***

plugin0:kmplugin.dll

By the way, I always get a blank webpage when I open the Interactive Guides from the .ISO / Drive and they can't be downloaded from http://support.openview.hp.com/ in english which is pretty frustrating!

Thank you in advance,

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: SM Configuration Tool don't ask for external DB

You have to configure an ODBC connection on the SM app server which points to the database. The System ODBC connection includes the SQLServer information. On 64 bit Windows, you must use the odbcad32.exe launched from the  Windows/SysWOW63 directory to create a 32-bit ODBC connection.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi John,

thank you for you quick answer!

I opened odbcad32.exe from the Windows/SysWOW63 directory and then in the "User DSN" tab, I added a new Data Source with the remote IP of my database and a SQL Server authentification. The connection was also successfuly tested (See screenshot).

What happens next? How could I configure HPSM Server to recognise this remote database?

Just to avoid confusion: This has nothing to do with the "HP Service Manager ODBC Driver" link / installer from the Clickme.html ,right?

Many thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

While installing SM, the wizard would ask for the type of DB (msdql/oracle etc), along with the DB username and pwd, hope you have done this during the installation. click next.. verify connection.. if succeded it will take you to the next screen where you upload data into the db.

Note: this wizard would appear when you click on the check box which says run the wizard during the finish window of the installer.

Nij
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

You can re-run the wizard by clicking configure.bat in the server directory. You don't have to run the installer again.
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you for you help!

After following the steps you described, the connection test was successfull and I went to the next step of the configuration wizard. There I clicked on "Upload Data" and got this message:

Starting upload process....
Creating file 'dbdict'.
Failed to open dbdict file from cache

System load has failed. [00:00:00]

Application and sample data upload to the configured database failed.
Please check if the database is empty and the SQL user has rights to create tables,
check smconfig.log for additional detail.
Invoking shutipc...
Shutipc completed successfully.
License verification passed.

The DB credientials are of an admin, so he has enouth right to create tables but the DB is not empty, as I use it for UCMDB too (Testing purposes only). Is this the cause of the problem?

Do you need the log in smconfig.log? 

Yours,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

if you have access to the db, can you please share the screenshot of the privileges given to the user that you are using for the odbc and db setup

Nij
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

the user I'm connecting with is db_owner

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

This should be fine. Now next thing to check is if auditlog is enable in the sql server. I mean, few organizations, do not provide the privilege to create, alter records even though the user is a db owner.

Please verify the same and get back.

Regards,
Nij
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Check if with that user you are able to create table manually and no error at all is receiving while adding new row.
Visitor.

Could you tell me how to dom this on centos. I have a MSSQL database installed on a remote system

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.