Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

(SM) Support Tip: How to create a Knowledge Document using a PDF

As of late I've found myself explaining how to use the External Document Type when creating Knowledge Documents with files such as PDF or Microsoft Word. Therefore, I felt writing this SM Tip might come in handy to new Service Manager Admins and Users.

The External Document Type should be used when you want to use the actual external file (such as a PDF or Word document) as the Knowledge Document itself. Below are the steps to create a Knowledge Document using a PDF. These same steps can be used when the external file is Word, Excel, or any valid file. However, PDF is the most common and platform agnostic

1. Login to Service Manager
2. Knowledge Management > Contribute Knowledge
3. Choose ‘External’
4. Give the Knowledge Document a Title and a Summary
5. In the External Document Upload tab upload the PDF (or Microsoft Word Document)
6. In the Categorization tab choose where the Knowledge Document will be assigned
7. Publish
8. The document will be indexed
9. When viewing the document the PDF becomes the knowledge document for the end user

Labels (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.