Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

SM9.4x migration-upgrade tools

In the past, I have read about HPs upgrade and/or Migration tools.

We want to go from our current implemenation of 9.21 to 9.4x, and reap all the benefits of Codeless Configuration.

I can read manuals until my eyes bleed.  Who can summarize for me what is offered by so called Migration/Upgrade tools that would help us determine if we want to actually do 1 or multiple upgrades enroute from 9.21 to 9.4x (codeless or Hybrid), or if we should choose to simply install a new instance of 9.4x (codeless or Hybrid) and rebuild our code from the ground up.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: SM9.4x migration-upgrade tools

Hi Stacy, From my point of view the main benefit of performing an upgrade will be keeping the existent data of the production environment available, meaning your configuration for operators profiles, roles, files security, permissions will still be valid and the real data for each module and history of actions performed to all records. Also the fact that in case of a new instance you should keep two environment running some time until everything gets set and done in the new environment.

However if you plan to fully embrace codeless mode which means you need to rebuild most of your customizations into a new environment this will probably will be more time effective because upgrade process gets complicated when you arrive to the conflict resolution and merge sections where you need to determinate what records you want to use if you want to keep the old functionalities and avoid new processes some problems can start to show. This is most of the time complicated because you might decide to not upgrade some and that piece start to give you issues. Also you can forget to merge some functionalities and you can lose some of your business logic. Meanwhile, using codeless you can start adding your business logic using the new features and also from scratch defining how you want each module workflow to work; instead of doing this after the upgrade. You can fully test in the new environment and once it's ready you move the new production. Still you need both systems for a while but you can be more confident this new system has everything you want, while performing quality tests after upgrades are a really time consuming actions. Obviously there is always risk in the new system you might forget to add something that is working in the old one but users will remind that really quick.

Hope this perspective helps.

SM Support Engineer

Thank you for using the Micro Focus Community. If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an "accept as solution".
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

This sound reasonable, but I want to leave it open for a bit longer to see if anyone else weighs in with additional prespectives.

Also, let me ask an additonal question.  Just because we install a new ootb implemenation of 9.4x, that does not preclude us from moving our data forward does it?  For example, our Contacts records?

What about Operator Records?  Will old security settings continue to work in new ootb Codeless Implemenation?

What about Configuration Item Records.

Thank you so much

Stacy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Stacy,

Sure no problem. Definitely other opinios and point of views of other colleagues are appreciated here.

Regarding your questions, you can import data from old system like contacts and Configuration Items without problems because data structure of those tables have keep pretty much the same structure, same for pretty much all tables that keep data structure without changes or few new fields. For Configuration Item Relationship Records there has been an important improvement so SM stores the data exactly in the same way Ucmdb will push those relationships with one single relationship type and not two anymore (type and subtype - there is no longer phyisical or logical type). If you import that data by unload files from old system into the new ones you probably will need to review it and confirm it gets build properly.

Finally about operators, security settings have changed from profile configuration into roles configuration, most of the permission now are assigned by roles and operator still have a profile for contract and configuration profile but for the rest of modules it's roles. So importing data from operator from old system might require for you to either create those roles to match the profiles names or no role at all will be assigned to those operators and you will need to update them with the required permissions. With the operators, I've not personally deal with importing them from old to new codeless system so I'm not 100% certain on the behavior but knowing the current structure is what I expect to happen.

Regards,

SM Support Engineer

Thank you for using the Micro Focus Community. If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an "accept as solution".
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Stacy,

Who can summarize for me what is offered by so called Migration/Upgrade tools that would help us determine if we want to actually do 1 or multiple upgrades enroute from 9.21 to 9.4x (codeless or Hybrid), or if we should choose to simply install a new instance of 9.4x (codeless or Hybrid) and rebuild our code from the ground up?

I suggest you contacting your account manager/premier support/pre-sales/sales representative/HPE PS/local parnter to ask if you can join the SM RnD Upgrade Program, which will help you do free upgrade assessment, so that you can know how many upgrade conflicts, and how many estimated man-hours you need to take to resolve during upgrade. With which numbers, you can balance if you want to use upgrade strategy or reimplementation on new installation of 9.41.

If you are familar, you can also try yourself with following upgrade path to know the upgrade conflicts (suppose you will upgrade to 9.41 Hybrid):

1. Install 9.40 SM RTE Server, apply latest 9.41 SM RTE patch

2. Connect the 9.41 SM RTE Server to your copy of 9.21 database

3. Upgrade 9.21 to 9.31 applications, but do not resolve any conflict, do a database backup

4. Apply Process Designer (PD) 9.30.2 on 9.31, but do not resolve any conflict, do a database backup

5. Upgrade 9.31 + PD 9.30.2 to 9.41 Hybrid applications, do a database backup, check upgrade conflicts (Result = Renamed or Previously Reconciled) in upgraderesults table

Usually you can give 5~15 minutes to resolve one conflict according to your tailoring level on each table: ScriptLibrary, Process, format, ... Then you can summarize the total estimated effort to resolve all conflicts. Then you can estimate how many cycles of testing and effort you need to take, and other time on plan/training/misc...

Note: You can only be 9.41 Codeless but not 9.41 Hybrid via new installation.

Pitt,

SM RnD Upgrade Factory

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.