H_R Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

SQL data type VARCHAR instead of CLOB for array fields

Dear Experts,

When we create array data type field, the SQL data type is created as CLOB.

Can you please suggest how to create a VARCHAR type instead of CLOB?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 Replies
estelle_yang Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: SQL data type VARCHAR instead of CLOB for array fields

Hello HR,

Please refer to following KM document.

How to remap one field or all arrays as multi-row array table, performance problems

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM961884

Hope it helps.

0 Likes
H_R Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Dear Estelle_yang,

Thanks for the reply.

The KM document you had mentioned provides information about adding clob/blob fields as keys. But my question is how to create the array field with the SQL type as varchar instead of clob field. By default, when we create an array field with character type, the sql type is created as clob. instead of this clob, we want varchar.

Thanks.

HR

0 Likes
xiaolong Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi HR

I don't think we support that, the array type field will be created as BLOB or TEXT in database.

I think you may map this array type field into a sub table so that you can check the data in that sub table.

thanks 

0 Likes
estelle_yang Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi HR,

I think you'd like to create an array field normally and turn it into multi-row table (use a subtable) if necessary.

Thanks,

Estelle

0 Likes
H_R Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Dear xiaolong,

Please find the attached screenshot where arrary field of character is created as VARCHAR2 sql type. but when I create a similar field in another instance it is created as CLOB field instead of VARCHAR2

Thanks.

0 Likes
xiaolong Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi HR

If we create array type field in M1 table, the SQL type will be TEXT or BLOB, it is design. the element type in this array type field can be number, varchar. it means SM application will read array type field out and then evaluate the elements in this arrray.

It is degiened.

thanks

0 Likes
H_R Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Dear xiaolong,

In our existing SM, when we create any array fields with character type, they are automatically created in the next "a" prefixed tables (like a1, a2..) and the sql type is automatically stored as "VARCHAR2" of size 60.

In that case, is there any configuration settings for this in any of the SM table?

- HR

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.