Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Searching Incident (7.10 app/7.11 binaries) using Advanced Filter (TEXT fields)

Jump to solution

My customer sets up a search on Incident (probsummary) where he specified Opened After (date), Opened Before(date) and Title contains <criteria>.

When the query returns, it returns all Incidents opened between the dates specified which have <criteria> in the Title, Description, or Activity Journal.

I understand that Title is just row one of the description array, so it searching both Title and Description for <criteria> makes sense.  I can easily explain that to my customer.

But why is it searching the Activity Journal too?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i think that I have figured it out...

Service Manager has Information Retrieval (IR).  Certain fields on a table are listed as IR fields.  On Incidents (default), Description, Solution, Update Action, and Title are IR fields.  When you search for values in one of those fields, Service Manager searches the other IR fields too.  It is actually a nice feature to be used on those text-type fields where anyone can type anything and you don’t know where they may have hidden the data.

If you were to reissue your search, just as you had it before:

• using one of those other IR fields, you will get the same results.
  • but without the Advanced Filter - instead with text in Text Search and get the same results

In addition, IR attempts to be smart. Here is the blurb from help:

Search engine relevance ranks

As a result of a simple search, the search engine relevance-ranks documents according to word density as it searches for the word you specify, as well as words that have the same stem. For example, "films," "filmed," and "filming" are stemmed variations of the word "film." To search for documents containing the word "film" and its stem words, enter the word "film" using simple syntax: film.

When documents are relevance-ranked, they are listed in an order based on their relevance to your search criteria. Relevance-ranked results are presented with the most relevant documents at the top of the list.

So, if you look for a word that ends in an S, then it will look for the same word.

How do you learn this stuff? How do you expose to your users which fields are IR fields?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i think that I have figured it out...

Service Manager has Information Retrieval (IR).  Certain fields on a table are listed as IR fields.  On Incidents (default), Description, Solution, Update Action, and Title are IR fields.  When you search for values in one of those fields, Service Manager searches the other IR fields too.  It is actually a nice feature to be used on those text-type fields where anyone can type anything and you don’t know where they may have hidden the data.

If you were to reissue your search, just as you had it before:

• using one of those other IR fields, you will get the same results.
  • but without the Advanced Filter - instead with text in Text Search and get the same results

In addition, IR attempts to be smart. Here is the blurb from help:

Search engine relevance ranks

As a result of a simple search, the search engine relevance-ranks documents according to word density as it searches for the word you specify, as well as words that have the same stem. For example, "films," "filmed," and "filming" are stemmed variations of the word "film." To search for documents containing the word "film" and its stem words, enter the word "film" using simple syntax: film.

When documents are relevance-ranked, they are listed in an order based on their relevance to your search criteria. Relevance-ranked results are presented with the most relevant documents at the top of the list.

So, if you look for a word that ends in an S, then it will look for the same word.

How do you learn this stuff? How do you expose to your users which fields are IR fields?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, Every table has one Information Retrieval (IR) key driven by Information Retrieval Search Engine. In order to learn about the IR key in a table, please go to Database (db) > irfields.

Here, you can see the IR field name in a table, caption name for that field in the relevant form also.

Hope it will answer your purpose!!!

Brgds, AM

Brgds,
AM
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.