Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Service Center Web Service API Question

Has anyone used the ChangeManagement web service to update a change ticket?

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP Service Desk Support and News Forum to HP Service Manager / Service Center Support and News Forum - Hp Forum Moderator

0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Service Center Web Service API Question

Not Change Management, but I've used the other WSDLs in other modules to update tickets. What's up?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you provide a sample of the .NET code used to update a ticket? Any ticket, incident, problem, etc. Assuming the methods are similar for all.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Unfortunately, I've done all my testing inside SM and with SOAPUI... I haven't done any work in the .NET applications...

Have you read the SM7 Best Practices Guide for Web Services? I think that's got some sample .NET...

Otherwise I can show you some of the SOAPUI examples...
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I have read the Best Practices document and downloaded the "Web Service Studio" (SOAP UI?) from codeplex that is referenced in that document and also examined the .NET sample that is referenced in that document. However, the sample is a console application that is used by entering a command with arguments from a command prompt not a web app report like I'm trying to do. It doesn't fit and wasn't any help. I was hoping I could find someone who actually consumed the web service in a custom web app. I have been successful in communicating with the service but could not successfully retrieve or update a ticket using the UI.
If you could explain how you update through the UI that may give me a clue as to how to code the .NET piece.
Many Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

First, I don't know it we're talking about the same App, so just for reference, I'm using SOAPUI, which can be downloaded from:
http://www.soapui.org/

This application allows you to experiment with SOAP Requests from an external application. I don't have my own custom App, but I wanted to familiarize myself with how ServiceCenter/Service Manager deals with webservices.

I'm absolutely no expert, but I am able to successfully retrieve an Incident, an Incident list, and an Incident Keys list (basically just the ticket numbers). I can open, update, resolve, and close an Incident ticket in Service Manager (works the same for Service Center) from within SOAP UI, so I have a working knowledge of webservices.

Here's how I understand it.

Service Center uses records in the extacess table to generate a .wsdl file for consumption by other webservice applications. The .wsdl has all the information the webservice application needs to generate a SOAP request (to search, open, update, close) a ticket inside Service Center. (We can try to go over the wsdl itself if you want...)

In SOAP UI, open a New Project by clicking File->New WSDL Project. It will then ask you for the name of your project (anything you want) and the location of your WSDL. If you're using SC6.2x or ServiceManager, your wsdl file should be at
http://:/sc62server/PWS/.wsdl

If you're on 6.1x, then your wsdls should be located at
http://:/sc61server/PWS/.wsdl

I'm using Service Manager on a local machine, so the ChangeManagement wsdl would be

http://localhost:13080/sc62server/PWS/ChangeManagement.wsdl

Then click OK, and SOAP UI will generate a list of Services contained in that WSDL.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Once you've got your list, you're ready to start making SOAP requests.

See the attached document to get started...
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Sorry, one correction...

When you've deleted all the ?, you'll end up with this:

<DESCRIPTION.STRUCTURE type="Structure">

I missed these at the start

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

In addition to filling in fields for a qbe-style search, you can also yse the query="" parameter, like an expert search in ServiceCenter/Service Manager.

For instance, if you wanted to look for a record with the number=C4304, in this part:

Specifically in the , you'd do:

The single quote (') allows you to write a query, just like you would in expert search. The double quotes (") are used inside your query expression (rather than ServiceCenter/Service Manager's usual method of "\"query\"" type queries)

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Updating a Change Ticket would work the same way then.

Select the UpdateChange request, fill in your username and password, get rid of the auto-filled "?", then enter your search parameters in the query field in the

Then in all the fields below the
line, fill in the _values_ you want to update. Note- this isn't a two step process... you're not searching for a record and then updating it... the changes to the values will be applied to the record returned by the query... You can do it in two steps (search for a change using the RetrieveChange request, then update that change with the UpdateChange request) but each request is its own operation.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wow man!
This was helpful for me too !!!!!
I wish to give you points, but until you answer me, nothing to do 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for all the detail. The Web Service Studio is almost exactly like the SOAP UI. I have done all this in Web Studio and i get a reply but is says no records found even though I know the ticket exists in the database.
I downloaded the SOAPUI anyway to see what it is all about and I am trying to get assistance from a web service developer here to investigate what is going on. My issues may be due to my lack of knowledge about web services in general. If I discover any thing worht sharing about this I'll post it back here to let everyone know.

Thanks so much for your help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.