Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Service Manager Migrate vs Upgrade

I see the words, "Migrate" and "Upgrade" seemingly being used interchangeably at times.

(prior to today, I thought I understood the difference, but some reading today on these forums has me wondering if I do understand the differences)

Can someone explain the difference (if any) between Migrate and Upgrade as used in the context of a company moving from an older version of SM to the latest version?

Thank you

Stacy Whetzell

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Service Manager Migrate vs Upgrade

Hello,

SM R&D use the term Migrate for Service Center to Service Manager, Service Desk to Service Manager.

While Upgrade is for SM from low version to high version.

Recently, for SM 9.4x classic to codeless, migrate is the term that will be used.

Thanks

Desmond

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

thank you for the clarification.

what is the term used to indicate simply moving 'data' from an older version to a newer version of SM?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Stacy,

Desmond is correct.

Pitt,

SM RnD Upgrade Factory

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Basically 'data' is for SM application, and 'data' upgrade is the application upgrade.

Please note that, 'data' consists of code (RAD, script), configuration data (link, category, etc), and transaction data (incident, probsummary, etc), yet the application upgrade only upgrade the code and configuration data, not including transaction data.

Thanks

Desmond

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.