Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Service Manager Migration Questions

Hello Experts,

We are having a requirement to migrate existing HP Service Manager instances ( 3 production instances , over 3 countries ) into a single instance of HP Service Manager .

Out of the 3 instances, 2 are currently running on HP SM v9.41 p5  and third one is on SM v9.34

The plan is to build a new consolidated instance on HP SM v9.41 P5 with one of the 2 instances of SM 9.41 as the baseline system.

Questions which I had in my mind.

1. Should we consolidate and migrate to SMv9.41 P5 or should we build a new ITSMA  (SM9.5 or SM9.6x) instance  (incase if we upgrade license to ITSMA now or later )?

2. If its an ITSMA instance, what are the benefits of going to SM9.5x or SM9.6x

Benefits which I see are :

a) Smart Analytics (assuming if we buy SA licenses )

b) SSP ( propel  portal 😞 does it require any license purchase ?)

c) Longer duration of support ( should go beyond 2025  )

d) Chat-Ops Interface : Does it require additional chat bots app to be purchased ?

cons :

a) Extended time for migrating the components from SMv9.41 to SMv9.5x / SM9.6x.

Should someone give a little more insight on the migration approach .

Thx

dev

I am Listening..
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Manager Migration Questions

Lots of questions and I'm not able to cover all of those...but I'd give some view on the topic.

SM 9.41 was lately given one more additional year of committed support. So to have a quick solution on your problem it's ok to convert 9.34 to SM 9.41 and then take another look what to do next. The reason Microfocus told for support extension was to give more time for customers to shift to containerized versions of Service Manager or SMA-X. I think it says all what the future looks like.

I'd seriously consider shifting to SMA-X. Microfocus seems to promote SMA-X more and more and I assume the company's future in ITSM lies in SMA-X. SM is based on old architecture. For example, it's going to stay in a 32-bit design and 64-bit version is not going to be implemented.

I'm convinced SMA-X will get the major R&D resources, so I'd put my bets on that horse. Eventually, SM will be phased out. There are two SMA-X bundles if I recall correctly and I'd say it's best to contact you sales rep to get a refreshed view what they are currently.

You didn't mention what DB and operating system your current environment has, but currently SMA runs only on Linux platforms (Red Hat, Centos) and PostgreSQL DB is the only fully supported DB across the modules (also Oracle is supported in some modules). So, if you have SQL Server as a DB and SM is running on Windows Servers, containerized Service Manager may cause you more migration issues if you want to keep OS & DB brands & versions unified across the product.

For example, for me it's an issue that shifting from SRC portal to SMA portal would have brought an additional set on technology to handle. Of course, if you already have free admin resources comfortable with Linux and PostgreSQL skills, the shift and required investments may not be as big as it was in our case.

With SMA-X, it's possible to run it on Amazon cloud or to buy it as SAAS from a service provider, so those are also two possible options to consider. Most of the companies want to focus on running the daily operations instead of IT systems...

My 2 cents...

EDIT: Some fixes and fills

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Thank you for the reply Kelalek.

Considering the tight timelines which we have ( development time is only 5 months ) , i am not sure  whether SMA-X is an option at this point.  I am yet to look at the support matrix of SMA-X ( is it different from SM9.52x and SM9.6x ?? ).

Going to Redhat and Postgre is not an option , as we are a MS shop ( win 2012 and SQL server 2012 is currently running )

You mentioned about additional technology whcih came in while doing the migration.

Is it only the red hat and post gre components  or are there more  ?.

I read , SMA-SSP  is only supported on Red hat linux .

Thank you

dev

I am Listening..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I agree 5 months is not enough to make a well planned transition to SMA-X. SMA-X is a descent of Service Anywhere, (if I cut some corners) just branded with a new name and it's containerized and added some new features. As a service portal there's a SMA Portal, which is also able to connect to Service Manager as well.

What service portal to use is a tricky question - for example, in our organization SRC is widely used and it serves our needs well. But most of the browser brands have announced they will cut the Flash support from browsers in near future. For example Edge will gradually phase out Flash in couple of years, which means switching SRC to something else is obligatory. Of course it's possible that Microfocus comes up with a stand-alone version of SRC, but generally speaking service portal is the product in Service Manager that forces you to make a move. As Propel is discontinued, there's no other long term choice but to adopt a new containerized Service Portal. Which, like I said, is running on different tech we currently use. (We are also employing heavily MS techs.) 

If the adoption of Service Portal had been done, in addition to existing MS techs (servers, IIS, MS SQL) we'd to maintain some linux servers (running Service Portal Docker containers, PostgreSQL DB) and build a new SSO solution for it. In the case scenario I presented, it's wiser to make a big bang approach and run the whole system in containerized environment instead of adopting "mixed model", which looks a lucrative & easy solution at a first glance. I emphasise, these are my personal views and I'm happy if somebody challenges these views!

Like I said, currently the containerized SM or SMA-X require a certain linux distro such as Red Hat or Centos and fully supports only PostgreSQL. Please check the support matrix for more info, as Microfocus keeps adding support some other techs release by release, quarter by quarter. For example, MS SQL DB support is currently being implemented. I suppose running containerized SM/SMA-X on Windows can't yet be done and I'm aware if it's in the product roadmap or not.

BTW, SMA-X 2018.05 support matrix (on premises installation) is following:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Service_Management_Automation_-_X:2018.05/Support-matrix-for-on-premises-deployment_19895404

---
Moving on, this account is no longer active. Best regards, Kelalek
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello,

The SMAX 2018.05 help center has been moved from:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Service_Management_Automation_-_X:2018.05/Home

To: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/SMAX:2018.05/Home

Please note that SMAX documentation URLs have been updated to use SMAX instead of Service_Management_Automation_-_X.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.