Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
dfilipovic2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Service Manager - recommendation for querying database which is not SM-s db

Hello experts,
Do you have a recommendation on how to connect to a database which is not SM and it should be "Real-Time"?
Which middleware is best for this since CIT has problems with this kind of integration.

Case:
I need to connect to a database which is currently connected with MS SharePoint, that application has some exposed views on DB.

Best regards,
Dino

Labels (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Service Manager - recommendation for querying database which is not SM-s db

Use Web Services!

If you really need to do the way you want you can have basically two approaches:

* Database to Database connection: you can connect both databases and expose this view in your current HPSM database if HPSM is also in SQL Server its quite easy and is transparent for HPSM, if not you may need some specialized tool like Oracle Gateway.

* HPSM to new Database connection: connect HPSM to SharePoint database (yes, you can have more than one), so on your dbdict, you can map it as you usually map other tables you just to reference the correct database pointer.

You really should try to avoid direct DB connection... bringing data not managed by HPSM into it can lead to unexpected and unpredictable results, you may think that it's just a simple table with few data but as it grows (and it will grow.. soon they may ask you to also update their side) your life becomes harder..

Also, consider the points below:
- Data format
- Date TimeZone and valid Range
- Database object locks
- Database Unavailability

Consider that you don't have access to HPSM persistence implementation so you don't have the freedom you would have if you integrate with web services... Again, use Web Services!

Regards,
Breno Abreu

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Outstanding Contributor.

I can't access their application so I need to query directly through ODBC, can I create web service to access a database through ODBC?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Considering that you cannot have access to SharePoint WebServices you could have something in the middle like a  connect-it scenario or some simple tool in java/php/whatever to expose a interface you could call to get the data from the database but I don't know... does not seems right.

I think you need to think a bit more about the data you want to bring, the concerns in my last reply and figure out what is the best solution.. the easiest is db-db connection: you will link both databases and map the view into yours.. and then you will just need to map this new table on DBDICT and no further actions would be required.. 

More os less the steps are described in: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3231038/how-to-create-views-based-on-tables-from-different-server

Regards,
Breno Abreu

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Outstanding Contributor.. AChandler Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I have integrated SM with SharePoint before, using web services, and I would suggest pushing back at the SharePoint team, to get access via their REST interface. It really will make your life much easier, and if the requirement for integrating is coming from them, they should be willing to give you access. If your management is driving this integration, your management should talk to their management so that the best practice usage of these two tools can be followed (in your example, web services is the preferred method for integration by both MicroFocus and Microsoft). My point is it would be a shame if a convoluted and lengthy-development direct-database connection has to be written, if a little more understanding by the SharePoint team could make the web services route available and therefore the requirement delivered sooner and better. 🙂

Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,
I don't need to integrate with MS Sharepoint, I need to integrate with an application that doesn't have any web API (SOAP or REST API) but it is in Oracle DB.
I am currently checking if we can connect to Oracle DB with Rest API since we don't have any kind of connection with web service.
They have only enabled ready-only views inside DB for purpose of integration...
Best regards,
Dino

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.