Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2406 views

SessionTimeouts, Inactivity Timer, HeartbeatInterval work together?

We are running 7.10 app  and 7.11 web at patch 14 (working on applying the latest patch level now).

 

Our users all use the web client.  Only administrators use windows client.

 

98% of our operators are under a 30 minute Inactivity timer.  The other 2% are under a 4 hour inactivity timer.

 

In sm.ini, we have HeartbeatInterval set to 30 seconds and SessionTimeout set to 2 minutes.

In web.xml, we have SessionTimeout set to 1 minute.

 

I realize that these may not be optimally set, but I do not understand how they work together to eliminate inactive and disconnected operators?  The inactivity timer works OK, but we have a lot of web client session which are disconnected (ppl not logging of and rebooting or closing browser).

 

Can someone explain how these parms work together to eliminate inactive and disconnected operators?

 

 

 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is easy to get as per following(from help server) :

Parameter
sessiontimeout
Description

This parameter defines the number of minutes that the server waits for a client heartbeat signal before the server assumes that the client session has timed out and closes the connection.

The client sends a heartbeat signal to the server every 15 seconds or as defined by the heartbeatinterval parameter.
Valid if set from.

And when user donot logout system will send the heartbeat and connection would be lost as per sessiontimeout parameter.

hth,
____________________________________
Assign Kudo, if found post useful and mark it accepted if solves the issue.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For HeartbeatInterval set to 30 seconds and SessionTimeout set to 2 minutes.

That means your client (not user)  will tell the server every 30 seconds that it's still alive. So if the server misses all 4 heartbeats (roughly 4 times in 2 mins), it will kill the session/connection.

For your web clients with  SessionTimeout set to 1 minute. If it misses both the 2 heartbeats (roughly 2 heartbeats in 1 min), the web session is killed. Too many heartbeats cluttered up the lan network, too little heartbeats, your session gets killed during high network traffic, lan cable unplugged or overworked pc that could not sent a heartbeat in time. At minimum, provide at least 2 heartbeats during the sessiontimeout interval.

 

Inactivity has nothing do to with heartbeat and sessiontimeout. It measures actual activities. So if the operator is idle during that whole period, he gets logged off by inactivity.

Tags (1)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.