Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Strategies or Tools on SM Debugging

Dear forum,

part of solving issues or programming features at Service Manager for sure is finding out how certain fields are being set ( what process, format control or trigger and so on sets a certain field falue - for example ).

The more experience you have in that area - the better ( and quicker ) you are :-).

I am just wondering what your strategies and / or tools are for that ... apart from reading debug log files, making prints in the code ( to find out of that triggers or what the value at a certain stage is ), it would be nice to have some feature which shows you what workflow is related to one field.

...maybe there is already? I had a tip about the rad debugger "ba" option ( where you are supposed to set "ba <field name>" and it stops whenever that field is changed. However that did not really work ( or I used it wrongly ).

What would be nice from HP would be a documentator tool, where you can enter for example a field name, and it digs through your Service Manager and results you all the areas where that field name is set ( for example "FC IM.update Calculation Line 4" ) - I have seen people doing such documentation tools for their own unofficially.

So basically just wondering if you have any certain strategies to approach such situations ( apart from experience :-). Especially when seeing a heavily customized SM system at a customer, such tasks can be the most time consuming ones.

Or possibly HP has something in the shelve, or there are other tools which I am not aware off ( I know of the JS debugger from HP, which sadly was cancelled ).

Happy Friday all and thank you for feedback!

Robert

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Rob,

That tool already exists. Use *afindAll in the command line and it will search the entire system for your specified string. Great for searching on variable or field name. Note: Performance intensive, so use it on dev copy of production. There the older version *afind.string which require you to specify the table to search. Faster if you want to search a specific area. Note: every part of the system exists in a table somewhere. One thing I like about SM.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Thanks Jas for reminding me on that one! ... I forgot about it ( we have something similiar in place locally ).

When working with Remedby before there was a community contribution from someone who was building a tool that generated a HTML Documentation ( possibly to comparing to Javadoc ). So you could just go and click a table and a field ( the field being a HTML link ), and then lists you all the areas where a reference is existing ( offline ).

It would be neat to have someting similar from HP ( ER :-).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

Relying on the logfile is the best strategy. You can always enable parameters in the sm.ini file and generate logs for that and then proceed with the debugging/troubleshooting.

Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.