Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

System.Admin unable to add new fields to Database Dictionary

Jump to solution

When I click on New Field/Key I receive an error "You can only edit fields or keys".   How can I grant permission to System.Admin to add a new field?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

When you want add a new field or key, you must FIRST select the descriptor (this says "add the field as a child of the descriptor). In some tables, there are sections called header, middle, etc, and you can also add a field to those sections. 

In webtier, the descriptor selects by default:

But in the Windows Client you have to click on it. Then Click New Field/Key.

To add a new Key, you must first scroll down to first empty Key and click on the grey bar (not the field array), then click New Field/Key

If you don't do this first, you will get the "You may only edit fields/keys" error. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.
Check capability words. You need "SysAdmin" and "SQLAdmin".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

If do not want full access to system by 'Sysadmin' them try 'data administrator' capability word in respective operator profile.
Or can search for the all capability words and select your relevant one.

hth,
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you!  I see that the capability word "SQLAdmin" is defined.   Where is it added in an operator profile?  I don't see a place in the Operator Record to add the capability word.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

The Startup tab of Operator Records should have a section called Execute Capabilities.  You would add any new capability words to this list.

Audrey

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Audrey.  Now the plot thickens as I do have that capability word in my Execute Capabilities.  I have attached a screen shot if the list.

Yet I still get the error message "You can only edit fields or keys".

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

When you want add a new field or key, you must FIRST select the descriptor (this says "add the field as a child of the descriptor). In some tables, there are sections called header, middle, etc, and you can also add a field to those sections. 

In webtier, the descriptor selects by default:

But in the Windows Client you have to click on it. Then Click New Field/Key.

To add a new Key, you must first scroll down to first empty Key and click on the grey bar (not the field array), then click New Field/Key

If you don't do this first, you will get the "You may only edit fields/keys" error. 

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you John.  I am, indeed, selecting that row before attempting to add a new field.  I have tried both Firefox 10 and IE 8 and 9.  As you mentioned, in webtier that row is selected by default.   I will try again today and be sure I am not missing anything in the steps you outline.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi,

you can use this trick when you get this error just click again on the New field Key.

may be it will help..

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is a tricky one!  I had to click on it, close the window that opened, and then click on new field. 

Thank you again to all who contributed to this thread!  I have learned much from you.

bitDoctor

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.