Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Template usage Tracking 7.11

Jump to solution

Is there any way "out of the box" to track how many times a template is used by operators? We want to see if there are old templates that are not being used.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

No.  You'd have to custom build something, either by writing back to the Template record itself to modify the sysmodcount value, or by changing the template to update some hidden value in the record that you could search on.

That second route would probably be easiest.  Pick a field that isn't being used in your implementation of Service Manager.  Update each Template record to populate that field in the ticket with the name of the Template being used.  Then, you could search your tickets for that Template and get a count of how often tickets are created/updated using that template.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Fleet Admiral

No.  You'd have to custom build something, either by writing back to the Template record itself to modify the sysmodcount value, or by changing the template to update some hidden value in the record that you could search on.

That second route would probably be easiest.  Pick a field that isn't being used in your implementation of Service Manager.  Update each Template record to populate that field in the ticket with the name of the Template being used.  Then, you could search your tickets for that Template and get a count of how often tickets are created/updated using that template.

View solution in original post

Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I like your suggestion but I found that table TEMPLATEA1 in SQL  counts the number of times a template is used. I am not sure if the data is daily, monthly or what but it seems to shed some like on the count for me.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Which field is that? if you're talking about the sysmodfield, I don't think that shows how many times it's used; that shows how many times someone edits the Template record.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nope the table TEMPLATEM1 shows the sysmod field and you are correct that does show the number of times the record was altered. The TEMPLATEA1 shows Name (of the template) Record_Number (how many times recorded used - ROLE (who can use it) - TABLENAME (which table it was used on)

Here is an example...I added the dashes in the first line to indicate the breakes.

AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert - 14  - incident analyst - incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 15 incident coordinator incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 16 incident manager incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 17 KCS I for KM incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 18 KCS II for KM incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 19 KCS III for KM incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 20 MHC CR Local Analyst Group incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 21 MHC Functional Groups incidents
AD-Network - Unlock Generic Account – ChangeAuditor Alert 22 MHC Help Desk incidents

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I take that back... after looking closer it seems this list the different groups or ROLES that have access to the template... So your suggestion seems to be the better choice.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral

Yeah.. that a1 table is just one of the ways HPSM stores array-type values.  Each of the "RECORD_NUMBER" values corresponds to that record's position in the array.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.