Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

What is the best way to set fields to a null value using mass update?

Jump to solution

Looking for an answer on mass update with a null value.  Tested with template update method using two double-quotes with no spaces ("") as well as NULL in the field, but no luck as those actual values are appearing in the field.  I need to field to be blank.

Using Service Manager 9.40.

Appreciate the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Using a complex update, set the field to NULL

Like that:

your_field_name in $file=NULL

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello,

I think that your concern is regarding about how can the specific field be removed from mass update?

The list of fields for the template mass update is generated in ScriptLibrary Template, function getTemplateFields()
There, line 118 through 139, the watch variables of the Object record get added.
The watch variables should by default be in this list. Therefore, one cannot simply change this JS to remove them at all.
Instead an field would be required in Object record, in the array for the watch variables to in- or exclude them from the template mass update.
It would be recommended to get this implemented as ER, as dealing with the Object record may put Document Engine at risk. Overall solution shall be very well tested before the implementation.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Robcord, thank you for your reply.

To clarify, my question wasn't about how a specific field could be removed from a mass update.  What I wanted to do was, from a list of records that were the result of a query, and where each of those records had a value in field A, how can field A be set to a null value in a mass update.

As mentioned, I wasn't successful via using the template update.  However, I did consult with a SM veteran user whe recommended the use of the complex update panel with the following to be executed on each record:

field A in $file=NULL

That worked for my purposes.

Again, thank you for your reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Using a complex update, set the field to NULL

Like that:

your_field_name in $file=NULL

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.