New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Where is defined "$L.can.retract" variable?

Jump to solution

I'm making changes to Change management and would like to get "Retract" option to Approval phase, now there is only "Approve" or "Deny". Where is defined that the operator can Retract an approval?

After this I'm planning to make changes to the process so that after "Retract", change is automatically send back to Planning phase so that Coordinator can make needed updates to the Change record before next approval round. What do you think about this kind of process?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here's how the whole thing works:

Only setting $L.can.retract variable will not do the task for you as you need to be aware of how this variable is acting at the backend.

It is controlled in the RAD "approval.init" which is inturn getting called from the "approval.init" Process. This RAD decides if you can see the Approve button on the request or the Retract button as per the various conditions.

If the Change Approval group you belongs to is present in the "current.pending.groups" or "future.groups" fields then you will see the "Approve" button.

Whereas if the Change Approval group you belongs to and change group in the "approved.groups" field are the same then you will see the "Retract" button.

Though the solution suggested by the Gorda i.e
"Probably you can set a condition in fc like on update action approval.status in $file="denied" and in calculation columnt set current.phase in $file="Planning"  but not sure that it will fit all your needs"

Will definetly set the current.phase to the Planning but approvals will not be retracted as the retraction of approval involves the seprate process. Whereas in you case $phasepntr's can definetly retract you approvals but its quite tidy task to manage all those $phasepntr's in different change workflow implementations.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The option to "Retract" is not displayed unless the logged in user has previously approved or denied the change (or the approval group of which they are a member has done so).

If the user has not yet Approved/Denied, then the retract option will not, and should not display.

I don't think the proposed flow is consistent with the function of the Retract option in the system. Retract is used to undo a previous Approval action. To remove a previous Denial, for example so that the approver than then Approve the change. It does not mean "cancel the submission for approval and move back phases".

Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

Almost sure that also you should grant the rights to retract approvals in the operator profile for the required object.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..
I didn't find an attribute or check box for "Retract" (or similar) rights. Where is that defined (SM 7.11).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

As John said what do you want to achieve,do you want to retract approval or to make the change phase back to planning?These both are two different things.

regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

Rechecked it a moment ago. This setting is available for RM profiles. Did not found in CHm profiles like you said. You will have to check if the general access to Approves which is set in change profile will give you rights to use retract.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Yes, these are different issues. Thanks for John's explanation.

After this information, Retract issue is more as a general intrest for system capabilties. Help is saying that you can retract ticket in ChM, system is using parameter "$L.can.retract" for this, but nobody knowns where you can set it 🙂

I think that I will change the workflow so that after denial the Change ticket is moved back to Planning phase with Denial comments. Do you have any suggestions for this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral

Probably you can set a condition in fc like on update action approval.status in $file="denied" and in calculation columnt set current.phase in $file="Planning"  but not sure that it will fit all your needs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

Only setting the current.phase might not work, you have to use the change phase pointer also.

hth,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral

If there are different WF then for counting the $phasepntr (as i remember thats the name if the variable) will require heavy calculations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here's how the whole thing works:

Only setting $L.can.retract variable will not do the task for you as you need to be aware of how this variable is acting at the backend.

It is controlled in the RAD "approval.init" which is inturn getting called from the "approval.init" Process. This RAD decides if you can see the Approve button on the request or the Retract button as per the various conditions.

If the Change Approval group you belongs to is present in the "current.pending.groups" or "future.groups" fields then you will see the "Approve" button.

Whereas if the Change Approval group you belongs to and change group in the "approved.groups" field are the same then you will see the "Retract" button.

Though the solution suggested by the Gorda i.e
"Probably you can set a condition in fc like on update action approval.status in $file="denied" and in calculation columnt set current.phase in $file="Planning"  but not sure that it will fit all your needs"

Will definetly set the current.phase to the Planning but approvals will not be retracted as the retraction of approval involves the seprate process. Whereas in you case $phasepntr's can definetly retract you approvals but its quite tidy task to manage all those $phasepntr's in different change workflow implementations.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.