Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wizard that Creates the Change Record

Jump to solution

I am creating a wizard to guide our users to create a change record based on a selected field being a particular Change Category. I am trying to get the final wizard-page to do two things.

1) Select something from a list from a Change Matrix that tells you the Category. So the data is already in "table1" with relationships as follows: "Column1" is the "Business Category" and the "Column2" is the "Change Category"

*For now I have the "Usage" tab "select one record from a list" And using the query for the records of cm3rcategory. I then am left with the following question about opening that kind of change.

2) I want the wizard to open that type of Change Record when clicking finish. I.E.. Visually Opens that record so you can start working the ticket. Is there an add process or format control I am supposed to call to be able to "display record(s) when complete"

I added a document with screenshots, What am I missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Justin,

I would most likely call wizard.run from the menu instead of cmc.open.from.menu. In the wizard, I would start with an empty file variable (Create a record of type cm3r) Then I would fill in all required fields from within the wizard, starting with the category information that matches the cm3rcategory table's records. Once all required information is entered, I would call se.call.process to execute the cm.open.save process.

If you want some examples and more info, not sure if you have read this document yet: Service Manager 9.x Wizard Guide

I hope this very general "how would I" helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Consider designing the wizard so it only needs to help users locate the correct category and then populate the Change Request file variable. Actually opening the Change Request should be left to the existing work-flow(s).

1. Locate the Process record used to open Change Requests in your environment (e.g. cm.open or cm.open.save)
2. Make a backup of this Process record before making any modifications
3. Access the RAD tab and in the first set of fields call wizard.run (with $L.file passed in)
Note: Yes, this means manually moving all expressions and existing RAD Applications down one set of fields

4. Set the Condition to gui() instead of true so the interactive wizard is not executed by background tasks
5. Save changes and test the new configuration

When the wizard exits, $L.file will contain the selected category and the subsequent RAD Applications should execute as desired.

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for the help!

However, I get an error. Perhaps you can let me know where I went wrong.

I created an initial wizard panel called "SI CM Process", this calls the "cm.open.new" process which calls the wizard. This way I dont get an endless loop where I would if I called this process at the last wizard page because this Process (as I created it) uses a RAD Parameter "name" and file "$L.file". I attached a word document that hopefully helps clear up what that means by showing how I flow through the wizard including the process, along with the picture of the error I now get.

To me this error reads that it can't open one based on the change category being unknown. Is there an error in my order of operations, Process, or the wizard I have created you can identify?

The error goes away when I uncheck "Actions" "Display Record(s) when complete" I dont get the error anymore. However it opens the list of the available change management category's.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think it is getting a bit too specific at this point. I should redefine this with a more broad idea.

What if I want to create a wizard that walks the user through selecting the correct type of Change category. In this they will fill out three fields field1, field2, and field3. Those three fields will need to be in the change record. I know how to create the screens but how would I open the new change with this information.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Justin,

I would most likely call wizard.run from the menu instead of cmc.open.from.menu. In the wizard, I would start with an empty file variable (Create a record of type cm3r) Then I would fill in all required fields from within the wizard, starting with the category information that matches the cm3rcategory table's records. Once all required information is entered, I would call se.call.process to execute the cm.open.save process.

If you want some examples and more info, not sure if you have read this document yet: Service Manager 9.x Wizard Guide

I hope this very general "how would I" helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Awesome, that process opened up the change so I could view it and validated the data I needed.

For anyone that may need to know how to choose an Expression for the category type based on a selected record from a list i used an Actions tab Expression.

So say you want to make a category of a specific type, instead of hard coing it like category in $L.file="Type of Change". There a way to use the selection like on the qbe's for context do so one can select the type of change they want to create.

I tried category in $L.file=1 in $L.selection because the first record in the selected list of available categories was the name.

Similar to this forum post request except I hit next.

Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Dear IrisGeist,

Your post has been indeed helpful. However, I am facing a small issue and that is the change ticket does not open in the form.  Basically I need to group changes into few groups - Category 1 (Hardware, Network,Software/Application) and Category 2 (Maintenance, etc). When a user clicks Category 1 he/she will see only chang categories in that group and when a user clicks Category 2 he/she will see change categories in that group. Upon clicking the change category the change process will proceed normally the way it is.

What I did?

Step 1:  Created a wizard (named Category 1).

Step 2:  Created a form (named choose.category) that will be called by the wizard. In that form I allow the user to                               choose change categories of group Category 1.

Step 3:  In the wizard (Category 1),  I chose under

"File Selection -> Select $L.file by" tab I chose
                                 Create a record of type "cm3r"

"Usage" tab I chose
                                Request user input
                                Sub Format to Display = choose.category

"Actions" tab I chose
                                Perform Actions On = Current File ($L.file)

Actions to Perform
                                                Process Name = MyProcess

Step 4:  Created a Process Definition titled "MyProcess". Under RAD tab I used the following

RAD Application  = se.call.process                                Condition  = true

Parameter Name                                                                 Parameter Values

file                                                                                                   $L.file

name                                                                                              "cm.open"

Step 5: Created a menu that calls wizard.run application with the parameter "Category 1".

Conclusion: When a user clicks the menu item it opens the wizard displaying the change categories. Upon clicking the change category the change ticket does not open.

Please advise where I go wrong. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

It has been resolved.  

In Wizard screen, under Actions tab I had to choose

Display Record(s) when complete?
Mode = Add

Thanks All

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.