Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

how long time i can keep SYSLOG with no impact on system

Hello Experts , 

i know that there is a schudel to purge Syslog file to delete records older than 7 days . i'd like to now what the longest time i can keep syslog without affecting system preformace 

thank you 

Thanks and Best Regards
------------------------------
Amr Salah
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: how long time i can keep SYSLOG with no impact on system

Hi Amr_Salah,

It's not about the number of days.. it's rather the number of records / table size. And it's impossible to say this without a deep evaluation of your environment. Generally speaking it should not have any significant impact in your overal system performance. 

Considering that you have some monitoring in place that enable you to compare after change this value, I'd recommend you to set it to the value you need and see how this affects your system. I bet that it won't affect it at all.

Another possibility is create a archive mechanism for it, the same as you would do for tickets records. This could be either online in a clone table or offline as unload or csv file...

Most important is understand what do you want and why do you want what you want (hahaha my english is getting worse and worse 🙂 )

Good luck!

Regards,
Breno Abreu

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.