Frequent Contributor.

ir_max_shared in horizontal scaling

Hello,

we have an horizontal scaled system like this:

1. the load balancer

2,3,4,5,6 hosts for User servlet

7 host with processes and IR

In the document "Service Manager Diagnostics and Tuning" I read this:

"Therefore, the sm.ini file in each host in the horizontal group contains the following parameters and values (rounded):

--- sm.ini ---

shared_memory:32408538

ir_max_shared:408538

(other SM parameters for horizontal scaling)"

My question is (in my situation): do I need to specify the ir_max_shared also in the load balancer?

Thanks.

Giorgio

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: ir_max_shared in horizontal scaling

Hello Giorgioa

hope you are doing fine.

The shared_memory_address:(memory address> parameter can be used on all operating systems to ensure that shared memory allocation is kept in an area that will not interfere with shared libraries, stacks, heaps or other memory related data structures. You can use this parameter to specify a new address that has enough contiguous memory for the HP Service Manager process.

Important: Shared memory in a horizontally scaled environment must be calculated per machine based on how many users this machine handles during peak times. 

A sample calculation for shared memory is: 48 MB + 1MB per 10 users + Shared Memory for IR

As summary: this parameter should be set also in the load balancer, BUT remember that the calculation should be exact as the shared_memory calculation mentions. If you need extra information you could take a look on the shared_memory guide for details.

Carlos Villalobos R
Customer Support Engineer
If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Giorgio,

You don't require to specify ir_max_shared parameter on the Load Balancer server if it's only forwarding requests.

Regards,

SM Support Engineer

Thank you for using the Micro Focus Community. If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an "accept as solution".
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for the answers.

Endeed my LB just forwards the new connection requests, no processes are running on it.

Kind regards.

Giorgio

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.