Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

How can I remove the single-quote characters in my Issue Manager database?

Problem:

Resolution:

ANSWER
----------------------------------
When working with a SilkCentral Issue Manager database that uses fields containing single-quote characters ( " ), the following error message may appear in Issue Manager when trying to save updated changes to a defect:

"Unhandled exception. See log for further information. ([TFRADARDB01]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near "Ready".)"

This is because the SQL compatible database used by Issue Manager uses single-quotes to identify values (e.g. "Test", "100"), and using these quotes as text can cause problems.

To remove single-quote characters from the database, you can use one of the following SQL queries. These are executed in the Advanced Query editor in Issue Manager, which can be found in [ISSUE MANAGER | TRACKING | QUERY | ADVANCED].

To find fields in the database that contain single quote characters, use the following SQL query:

SELECT * from DEFECT WHERE Disposition LIKE "%""%"

In the above query, replace the text in bold with the appropriate table name and field name where the single quotes are located.

To replace a value of a field with another value, i.e. replace "Fix Next Month" with Fix Next Month, you can run the following query in SQL Server"s Query Analyzer. Please note that this cannot be run from within the Issue Manager Query window:

UPDATE DEFECT SET Disposition = "Your Reason Code" WHERE Disposition = "%""Your Reason Code""%"

Note that "%""Your Reason Code""%" above has two single-quotes at either side of the text, not the double-quote character.

Old KB# 23758

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 19:38
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.