Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Why am I receiving an "ORA-12704 : character set mismatch" error when I attempt to create tables in my Oracle database?

Why am I receiving an "ORA-12704 : character set mismatch" error when I attempt to create tables in my Oracle database?

Problem:

Resolution:

QUESTION
----------------------------------

ANSWER
----------------------------------

This issue is only apparent in Silk Central Test Manager 8.1 (and Silk Central Issue Manager 4.0) with Oracle 9i. The problem is that the Test Manager has to communicate to the Oracle 9 database that the string values are stored in "NVARCHAR2"s instead of "VARCHAR2"s (respectively NCLOB instead of CLOB).

Firstly check that the Oracle database is created using the supported character sets which are;

NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16

If you are unsure whether you are using the correct character sets, execute the following statements in a SQL client which will give you a list of all your character sets;

select d.parameter Dparameter, 
d.value Dvalue, 
i.value Ivalue, 
s.value Svalue 
from nls_database_parameters d, nls_instance_parameters i, 
nls_session_parameters s 
where d.parameter = i.parameter (+) 
and d.parameter = s.parameter (+) 
order by 1

If you still have an issue creating tables after using the correct character sets then download the following patch;

SCTM81_Patch_01_Oracle9Support.zip

Related documents:

Old KB# 24701

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 19:48
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.