Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Why won"t SilkCentral allow me to import a requirements document to more than one project?

Why won"t SilkCentral allow me to import a requirements document to more than one project?

Problem:

Resolution:

QUESTION
----------------------------------

ANSWER
----------------------------------

If you create two projects in SilkCentral Test Manager 8.0 and then try to import the same requirement document to them both, it will not be possible. For example, you import the demo Usability_Requirements.doc with the Office Import tool and on the Projects page of the Import Wizard you will be offered the choice of all of the available projects. Continue the import. Now import the same document again and the Projects page will be disabled with the original project displayed (you will not be able to chose a different project). Copying the document and attempting to import the copy will have the same effect.

The behaviour you are seeing is correct. When SilkCentral Test Manager imports a requirements document, it reads the GUID (general universal identifier) that is generated by Microsoft Office for every document it produces and attaches that GUID to the project. Consequently, for all future imports SilkCentral Test Manager assumes that document belongs to that project only; it can be updated or completely re-written but that GUID is permanently associated with the project it was first imported to.

If you wish to import the same requirements into another project you will need to cut and paste the contents of the Word document into a second requirements document. SilkCentral Test Manager will then give you the choice of projects during the import process.

NOTE: Office 2003 allows you to view the properties of a document and to delete the GUID. DO NOT use this in preference to creating a new document as SilkCentral Test Manager will no longer be able to identify the document.

Old KB# 24812

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 19:49
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.