Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BIRT Report Designer: Preview

After upgrading from SCTM 12 to SCTM 15, the report preview within BIRT designer does not work any more: All reports are empty.

I already added the newly introduced  report parameter currWebserviceURL and currProjectID, but that did not solve the problem. Maybe  I provided wrong parameter values.

Did anyone solve this problem?

Best regards,

Bernd

Tags (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

Is this a report that retrieves data from a Silk Central report, probably from one of the shipped reports?

With the upgrade to 15.0, global reports have been introduced and the report IDs changed.

Are there any error messages in the report that could provide more information?

An empty report without any error would normally occur if there are no results for the Silk Central report (empty data tab) or for incorrect project/report/session IDs.

Regards,

RolandK

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Roland,

thank you very much for your reply. The report is self-made and I double checked project/report/session ID.

The report does contain no data or error message. Only the header and footer are displayed with empty data fields. Inside SCTM the report works as expected.

I am not sure  what value to use for the parameter  currWebserviceURL?

But even shipped reports seems not to work, since I am not able to preview the template "All requirements with History.rptdesign", too. But in this case, the report shows an error message: "Report parameter "currHandlerID" does not exist."

Best regards,

Bernd

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

the value of currWebserviceURL is used to contact the Silk Central web service, in most cases it is the same as the frontend server URL, http://<server>:19120. If it is not set correctly, this could be the problem.

Some of the shipped reports don't have all the necessary report parameters defined in the template. In Silk Central they work anyway as the missing parameters are set on execution, but for previewing them in BIRT designer the parameters have to be added. For the template "All Requirements with History" those are:

currHandlerID (default value: reportData)

currProjectID

currWebserviceURL

Regards,

RolandK

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Roland,

I am still unable to open a preview of a BIRT report. I downloaded the report "All Requirements with History" and adapted the following things:

1. Configure "Data Source" to access our SCTM DB (test connection works).
  2. Add the following report parameter as type STRING:
    1. currHandlerID
    2. currProjectID
    3. currWebserviceURL
  3. Configure Report Parameter
    1. currShortDateOnlyFormatter: dd.MM.yyyy (default)
    2. reportGeneratedAt: (default)
    3. currFrontendURL: http://testmanager (it's the same URL we use with web browser).
    4. currReportFilterID: 44173 (default; verified it's still valid)
    5. currSessionID (a freshly generated one)
    6. sourceDriver: (copied from "Data Source")
    7. sourceURL: (copied from "Data Source")
    8. sourceUser: (copied from "Data Source")
    9. sourcePassword: (copied from "Data Source")
    10. currHandlerID: reportData
    11. currProjectID: 478 (verified it's valid)
    12. currWebserviceURL: http://testmanager

Running the preview still results in an empty report. Do you have any further suggestion?

With best regards,

Bernd

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

the parameter values look OK.

Could it be that you are still using the BIRT designer that was downloaded from Help/Tools of the 12.0 version? A Silk Central .jar file is included in the BIRT designer package, that has to be updated to connect to 15.0. Can you try again with the current package from Help/Tools if this is the case?

Regards,

RolandK

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Roland,

that is it. I thought updating BIRT designer is not necessary, since the designer's version number did not change. Furthermore, neither Release-Notes nor documentation mentions, that an update would be necessary.

After freshly installing the BIRT designer from Tools download the preview works fine. Thank you so much.

With best regards,

Bernd

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.