Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Execution Plan mapping to Tests

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 09 March 2012]

Since a tester can only run 1 test at a time why does the execution plan run at the plan level?

This seems to have the issue that all of the tests appear to be running at the same time when the tester may only choose to run a couple from plan on one day and then others on a different day.

We have the popup at the finish run which you can choose to remove tests from the run at the end of that run. But you also have the risk that a tester may create more recent run results of Not Executed which is the first default option and could cause previously passed tests to be in a Not Executed Status.

The work around for this is either that "Remove the tests from the Current Run" is always selected. (But has the risk detailed above)

Or Tests are mapped to a Plan on a 1 to 1 basis. Which has the extra work involved of creating all of those plans when a higher level plan would have been suitable.

Is there anyway that the execution plan can be created from the layout in the tests section?

Or a future change to have tests run at the test level rather than the execution plan? (I know you can do this from the Tests View but they are not allocated to an execution plan and this would have implications ?)

Or an upload from Excel to allow the Execution Plan to be quickly generated?

Any other suggestions greatly recieved 🙂

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi,

do I understand that correctly that you finish your tests on a daily basis? What is the reason for that?

Typically you have a specific time frame and in this time frame you have to execute a list of manual tests - hence I assign this list to one or more testers and let them execute, track the progress they make and at the end of the period the executions are finished and I see which ones have been executed and which ones need to be done in the next testing period.

Did you have a look at the feature set of SCTM 12.0?

Related to your concern of overwriting previously passed tests with not executed - that does not happen. A Passed, Failed, etc. is never overwritten by a Not Executed status (in the Tests area which is used for all the coverage calculations).

There are no plans for an execution plan creation based on the test structure.

There are no plans for an execution plan creation via Excel.

Best regards,
Florian
Product Owner - Silk
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.