Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

How to use data from multiple sheets in an excel workbook used as a data source in Silkcentral?

I have data categorized across various sheets in an excel file and i have defined this excel file as the data source in SilkCentral.I want to use data from across these various sheets for running my automated test in SilkCentral. However currently i can specify only one sheet from which i can fetch the data for the test.

In SilkCentral terms i can specify the excel workbook as the data source but i can only specify 1 sheet as the Data set.How can i fetch data from across the sheets for my test? The data in various sheets cannot be clubbed into a single sheet and they need to be separate. Please let me know if SilkCentral has a feature which supports this or suggest workarounds

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Raghavan_S,

Which Silk Central version do you use?

If you check the online help topic "Configuring Microsoft Excel or CSV Data Sources" of the latest Silk Central version (version 19.0), then you can see following description:
"If you are working with an Excel spreadsheet that includes multiple worksheets, and you want to narrow down the data source to specific worksheets, you can browse to and select specific worksheets for inclusion. To do this:
Click [...] next to the Worksheet filter field.
The Select Worksheet Filter dialog box displays. Select the worksheets that you want included as your data source."

So you can select multiple working sheets within a selected Excel file.

This is also possible in previous Silk Central versions.

Hope i didn't miss or misunderstand anything here.

Regards
Michael

1)

2)

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. While the worksheet filter allows us to narrow down the sheets what i actually require is data from all the sheets for one single test.For example let us assume i have 3 sheets in the excel file Sheet1,Sheet2 and Sheet3 for login , test data and config respectively.I have no issues in defining the data source and providing the worksheet filter.

The problem is when i select the Dataset in the Data-driven properties for the test where i can select only one dataset which limits me to fetch data from only that sheet.

For my test to run i require the config details from sheet3 , login details from sheet 1 and the actual data used in the testcase from sheet 3.But currently since we can define only one sheet as the dataset it restricts the ability to fetch the data to only that single sheet.

Note : I am using SilkCentral version 17.5

Regards,
Raghavan
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Raghavan,

Sorry for my misunderstanding, you are right.
I just considered the data source definition section in the project settings where you can select multiple sheets, but i didn't check the data driven properties section of the test properties section. There you can just select one sheet as data set.
This has not changed in the latest SC version (version 19.0)

Maybe you can raise an enhancement request for this via support-line?

Regards
Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.