Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a recommended way of handling multiple active development projects of the same project (with different versions)?

Hi!

We're trying to come up with the best way of, in SCTM, manage multiple active projects developing different versions of the same product/product stack.

Here's a typical example scenario;

• Product Foo is developed and released in version 2.0.
  • Development of Foo 2.5 starts
    • Tests and execution plans specific to F00 2.5 are created and executed
  • Hotfixes/patches are developed for Foo 2.0; HF-001, HF-002
    • Tests and execution plans for these hotfixes are created and executed
  • A service release of Foo 2.0 is developed - Foo 2.0.1
    • Tests and execution plans for Foo 2.0.1 are created and executed
  • Foo 2.0.1 is released

Now, I want to bring the tests and execution plans for Foo 2.0.1 into Foo 2.5, as well as the tests and execution plans for the hotfixes.

At the same time, I want to keep releases separated so that, in an audit situation, I can go back and get a view of the state when e g Foo 2.0 was released.

My impression is that having one single project in SCTM and using baselines for the versions won't work since for F00 2.0.1 I would potentially have Foo 2.5 artifacts in the same "branch".

If I use separate projects, baselining at release of e g Foo 2.0 and then copying Foo 2.0 to create a starting point for Foo 2.5, I can use Foo 2.0 to store the hotfixes and possibly also Foo 2.0.1, but I need to manually figure out what artifacts need to be copied to Foo 2.5?

Is there any input, either from MicroFocus or in the community on this?

The documentation lacks this kind of information. Focus of the docs seem to be to document the feature set at a very basic level - not describing the underlying intent and/or the thinking that went into the design of the features.

0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.