Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Query on Copy a project in Silk Central

I am trying to understand how a project copy works in SC 20.5 and is trying to develop a process for it. I wanted to understand the impact of copying a project on:

• Assessment of impact to other projects
• Impact to execution environments Locations// // Execution servers
• Issue Manager integration, this may have changed in 20.6 due to Seamless integration.
• JIRA integration, could now have two project using the same JIRA project. Requirements and Issues
• What is the impact to Libraries
• What is the impact to Share tests
• What is the impact to called steps
• Understand the impact to new AD group integration

Any process document on Do's and Don't on copying a project will be really helpful.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Akash Gupta,

Here are my thoughts:

• Assessment of impact to other projects

> There should be now impact to other projects

• Impact to execution environments Locations// // Execution servers

> Locations and execution servers are not copied, they are available for all projects. But you can assign locations in the project properties. In case you copy a project then the copy will have the same locations assigned as the original project had when you copied from.

• Issue Manager integration, this may have changed in 20.6 due to Seamless integration.

> You are asked on copy if you want to reuse the Issue Manager project or not:

- If you decide to reuse the Issue Manager project then the copied project will use the same Issue Manager data as the original

- If you decide to not reuse then the Issue Manager data is copied to the new project

• JIRA integration, could now have two project using the same JIRA project. Requirements and Issues

> yes, the Jira project will be used by the copy too

• What is the impact to Libraries

> libraries are not copied

• What is the impact to Share tests

> the share tests configuration is the same as in the original project

• What is the impact to called steps

> the project copy calls the same shared steps as the original project (they are not copied)

• Understand the impact to new AD group integration

> User management as well as group management is not concerned by a project copy.

Copying a project can be a rather expensive process regarding performance, so we advise to do it only during hours with low load on the system.

Regards,

Hubert

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello Hubert,
Thanks for your reply.
I am looking for some suggestions and best practices to be followed while copying the project. Also the impact of copying the project on the old project. for e.g. if we copy a project the issues will still be referring to the old project so the project needs to remove those references. Similarly what other considerations needs to keep in mind while copying a project.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Akash Gupta,

What is the purpose for copying the project? Do you want to archive, continue working with both, is the original project some kind of template?

Did you check project baselines?

Regards,

Hubert

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello Hubert,
What is the purpose for copying the project?
Actually we are looking for some template available in Silk Central which could be reused as a reference for other projects i.e. if it is possible to create a Template project for reuse and replication. Going forward we will have standard fields and configuration of Silk Central and Issue Manager projects e.g. Root Cause Analysis. We need a way to easily supply a project which is pre-configured.
I learnt that that there is no option of template in Silk central and the only option is copying a project.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Akash Gupta,

Here are some of my thoughts.

Silk Central has the share tests options, but this covers tests only. I assume this is not enough for your case.

Copying project can be used as a templating mechanism. You must be careful as there are parts which are shared for all projects within a client and others which are project scope only:

- Everything which is found under the Administration menu is shared x-project.

- You can share reports in the Global reports tree, need special permissions to edit these.

- Users often the Issue Manager project or other third-party issue tracking tool project for all of their Silk Central projects. The reason while using different Silk Central projects for different software components, releases or products in a department you often want to have all issues found in the same Issue Tracking environment. History, overview and relations might be of interest.

I would restrict access to the template project to a limit set of user groups only to make sure the template is not changed by accident.

Do you have any special questions?

Regards,

Hubert

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.