Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SCTM 12.1 and 13 - Elimination of Manual Testing Client

Not sure how many of you utilize the Manual Testing Client, but it is a great tool for business testers - to allow them to execute manual tests without impacting license checkouts.  MicroFocus has documented they will be eliminating this client application going forward, and I have asked them about the impact to manual test execution and licensing. Here is the response from the Product Manager:

"The next release of Silk Central is targeted for November 2012 and will be a 12.1 release.  One of the strong focus on this release is improvements in usability for manual testers,  and as such we re-launching the manual testing interface, and as you have read in release note moving away from the Manual Testing Client.  And instead providing a single web interface in the tool to support manual testing.  In the short term this will mean there will be no offline – manual test capability.  However we will be introducing manual test licenses – which provides organizations with the capability they need for their testing.  The offline test capability as it was before had limitations and as such we will look to the best way to re-introduce this in subsequent release – but the immediate focus has been improving the way manual testing works for the larger audience. "

So, based on that response, Micro Focus will be creating a new license type in SilkCentral for manual test execution.  Please respond with your comments / thoughts about that.

My first thought is that I certainly hope we receive complimentary (no cost) manual test execution licenses on a 1:1 basis for each SilkCentral license we have.  My second hope / thought is that additional manual test execution licenses should be extremely affordable, allowing us to purchase a good # of additional licenses for business unit testing in the tool.

What are your thoughts?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Steve,

Following on from my prior feedback, just to confirm that the redesign of the manual test interface is intended to enhance the usability direction which we are taking manual testing.  It is at this stage intended that manual test licenses would be provide in line with the silk central purchase.  At this stage it is intended for this to be 1:1 with core Silk Central with then additional licenses available specifically for the manual testers at a appropriate cost.  Full details of the new functionality will become available close to the release along with all commercial licensing information.  

All feedback greatly received.

Becky Wetherill

Product Manager

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, I'm speaking about the Web Manual Testing UI (the link.."Continue Manual testing" enbedded in SCTM web UI, and not about the manual testing client (the java standa alone application.

The Web Manual Testing UI is without any doubts the most appreciate capability in SCTM 12.0 for a long list of reasons and for its high testers productivity, as documented in my feature request community.microfocus.com/.../9564.aspx

It was removed from 12.1 stopping for us the possibility to continue in the new SCTM version.

I hope that it can be considered in order to leave and improve the great satisfaction that we have in SCTM daily utilization.

Thanks

Gianni Pistarini

+39 3356756790

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gianni, what are you asking? Your question is not clear.

Version 2011 contained the client-server Manual Testing Client that had to be installed on user's PCs in order for them to do testing.

The web version - the Manual Testing application that does not require installation on a client PC - is in version 12.1 and from what I understand will continue in future version, possibly enhanced.

We recently upgraded to version 12.1 and am VERY pleased with the simplicity and ease of use of the Manual Testing application included in 12.1. And now that I understand the licensing model (and check-out / check-in parameters) I am fine with that as well.

Steve

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Steve, thanks for you reply.

It is interesting to know how different can be opinions.

I know how much work Micro Focus is doing to improve its product and I appreciate it, but in this case I think that a backward  step has been done.

I try to use the new manual test interface to compare with the previous web interface and I can demonstrate how low is now the level of productivity of the testers.

All depends by the point of views, if you have very detailed test cases and testers that have to follow rigidly the step by step information, then it is a great interface, but if you live in a world where you have tons of test cases with many re-executions every day and many senior testers (no monkey tester), with some projects where test cases are developed at high level with added explorative testing, then this is not the right interface as the previous was. It can be an option but not the only way. It is my appeal to Micro Focus.

Thanks to this interface (the previous) we decided to pass to SCTM from QADirector and stop the Rational QM implementation, increasing the license of SCTM.

The most important thing to convince to use a TM tool is the low impact to users in utilization and high productivity or them, combined to the reporting, manage and integration capabilities. When you force a tester to open each single test case to set the result, loosing the global picture and the possibility to work at test list level without working in a small and limited windows, you create the condition to pass to use MS Excel, more fast in these cases. How many mouse clicks I have to do to set PASSED to 100 test cases (or 1000), when I already know that all are passed? in previous UI: 4 clicks. How many added work I have to do when I already know the steps to do and I don't need to read them ?

Thanks a lot

It is fantastic to share these opinions

Gianni

Gianni Pistarini

+39 3356756790

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I understand the objection of having to go into the SilkCentral web application itself to see the "global picture" of results rather than seeing them in the Manual Test Client - that point is valid. My big objection to that is that users gobble up a SilkCentralTestManager license when they do that - and in the past it was all in the Manual Test Client. So for a different reason, I am in agreement on that.

As for the additional mouse-clicks per test, there is a Test status drop-down at the top right of the Manual Test web application window in 12.1 that you can set for the entire test. Testers do not have to click through every single step to pass a test - even though the indicator of "x / x" indicator tests passed doesn't change - that top-right Test status drop-down will pass the test when you set to Passed.

Steve

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.