Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Scheduling of issue status updates (JIRA)?

Hi!

I am aware that one can turn updating of issue status on and off as well as setting the frequency of the updating in the TMAppServerHomeConf.xm file.

Is it possible to  schedule the SCM status updates to times when the resulting massive number of API calls to the JIRA server has minimum impact on the JIRA server (e g to certain time slots of the day, or to weekends)?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi,

there is no possibility to schedule the update with a schedule like "update the statistics every Saturday", only an interval (in minutes) can be defined in the TMAppServerHomeConf.xml - every 60 minutes is the default.

Regards,

Florian

Product Owner - Silk
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the update.

I have another question related to the integration with issue tracking systems, in this case JIRA;

Our topology is as follows: SCTM located in Sweden, JIRA instance (corporate wide) located in California.

When hooking up wireshark on the communication between SCTM and JIRA I can see a round trip tim for the SOAP calls between SCTM and JIRA of about 800 ms.

When I request an issue sync from SCTM, one SOAP call is made for each issue. This quickly adds up to a substantial number of calls made to the JIRA instance. In a typical project, I can foresee thousands of issues that we would like to link in SCTM - this would quickly add up to hours of time needed for syncing of issue status. I am kind of concerned about the consequences this could have both on the JIRA side, but also if this could render the SCTM instance unresponsive.

Historically, when we have tested using recurring sync of issue status, this has resulted in SCTM overloading the JIRA instance bringing it down - similar to a DoS attack...

Are there recommendations on how to approach this matter? (moving the JIRA instance is understandably what comes immediate to mind, but unfortunately that is not an option).

/Per

0 Likes

Hi,

we have to investigate this on our side - updating each single issue with one call is inefficient. Maybe the REST API of Jira 5.0 or 6.0 provide now the possibility to do some bulk update.

Regards,

Florian

Product Owner - Silk
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.