adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Silk Central Reporting

Jump to solution

Hi , 

Our Company is using Silk Central as the  Manual Test Case Management tool . We are using Selenium / TestNG for our automation testing . Please guide me how to set up the the following 

Current Configuration :

1. We are running Selenium Tests using Jenkins 

2. Reports are generated as junit xml file

3. We are using git for version controlling 

4. We are running test as Maven test 

So my question 

1. Is there a way to report back the results in Silk Central execution . 

2. How do we link manually created test cases to the automation test cases and show there report 

3. Does Silk central Plugin for jenkins support reporting back to silk central the test cases 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gabriel_Dominik1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Silk Central Reporting

Jump to solution

Hi adi,

i had the same situation a few months ago with automated UI-tests.

let's have a look on your questions:

1. There is no buildin solution to report back your results. We solved it by a self made testscript that get the JUnit xml file from server, parse it and put out the result. that script is linked to an automated silk test so u can run it with an execution.

2. That's also something i think u have to do at ur own. we marked the tests with attributes so u can find them with a filter, but we haven't found a solution to link them somehow.

3. No. the SCTM-Plugin for Jenkins is made to start an execution in SCTM and get the results back to Jenkins, the other way isn't supported.

0 Likes
13 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi adi,

i had the same situation a few months ago with automated UI-tests.

let's have a look on your questions:

1. There is no buildin solution to report back your results. We solved it by a self made testscript that get the JUnit xml file from server, parse it and put out the result. that script is linked to an automated silk test so u can run it with an execution.

2. That's also something i think u have to do at ur own. we marked the tests with attributes so u can find them with a filter, but we haven't found a solution to link them somehow.

3. No. the SCTM-Plugin for Jenkins is made to start an execution in SCTM and get the results back to Jenkins, the other way isn't supported.

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank You very much for the details. It was really useful as its a proprietary tool its very difficult to get answers outside .

One small doubt .

Have you tried using Java API i guess there are some option to use API for reporting back .

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

No i have not. At the moment i schedule the test on Jenkins. As last step in the job i use the "SilkCentral Test Manager Execution", which starts a automated Silk Test that gets the result file from Jenkins and parse it to get the result to SCTM.

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel ,

Sorry to disturb again . I would like to try you approach .

Please let me know if i am in the correct track .

1. Run the Selenium TestNG script from Jenkins Project 1

2. In Project 1 post build trigger another project Project 2 ( Silk Central Reporting )

3. In  Project 2 build as "SCTM " with execution plan  ID and Project ID

Now it shows the project 2 as running however i think i have to configured the silk central execution correctly .

Please guide me what are the details i have to mention in Execution plans "Schedule" and "Deployment" tab in silk central  .

Also i didnt find any option in Project 2 build "SCTM" to get the result from 1 and import to silk cental

Thank you very much for you inputs . It was a great help

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel ,

I created new Execution Server and linked it in Execution Environment too .

1 .I guess now i have to make all the test cases as automated and give parameters ?

2.  Which Automation type are you selecting for " Process Execution " ?

3. In which language did you script and we have to generate output as "output.xml" ?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

hi adi,

# it was also my first way to use 2 Jenkins Projects to solve the Problem that SCTM Starter isn't possible to use as post build step, but we changed to another solution. U could handle SCTM Startet in your Project 1 if u like. Just configure rights on Jenkins that way an anonymous person could read the Workspace of your jobs.

I use the script first to download the result file from Jenkins (in my case from projects workspace) and then to parse the downloaded file and generate an output.xml. i used Java for that. we have an own made JavaExecutor we use for that, but it should also be possible to write a litle python script or a little programm do the same, which could be run by the process executor.

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel ,

One more question 🙂 . So for all the Test case executed in a Execution plan there will be one output.xml ?

If That is the case how can we specify which test failed .

Or we have to rewrite the output.xml after every test case with the result ?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi adi,

in my case i have an "one on one connection". i have a result file for every test executet in jenkins project. and every result file corresponds an output.xml in the end. and every output.xml belongs to a testrun

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel ,

I am also trying to use a Java Jar file to parse the xml and create the output.xml . However i am stuck at some place  .

So my doubt is .

In you silk central test case you make the automation type as Process Executor

command cmd.exe

Argument java -jar Javaexector.jar "Test ID"

working directory : where the Javaexecutor.jar is

Now where should i save the output.xml . Is it the same directory . also Please tell me if this format of output.xml is correct.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<ResultElement TestItem="PerlTest">

<ErrorCount>0</ErrorCount>

<WarningCount>0</WarningCount>

<WasSuccess>true</WasSuccess>

<Incident>

<Message>Message in Incident</Message>

<Severity>Failure</Severity>

</ResultElement>

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

hi adi,

I don't know if it works if you save it in the same directory where the jar is.

My output.xml is saved with relative path "output.xml".

absolute Path is then C:\Users\$User\AppData\Local\Temp\SCC_ExecServer\PerfProjects\PerfPrj_49_1406280395909\

Just looks like a workingdirectory for the ExecServer.

u can take also a look in sctm documentation search for "Configuring Process Executor Test Properties" maybe that can help more.

My XML looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/silkroot/xsl/output.xsl"?><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/silkroot/xsl/output.xsl"?>

<ResultElement TestItem="TestName">

<ErrorCount>0</ErrorCount>

<FailureCount>0</FailureCount>

<RunCount>0</RunCount>

<Timer>0</Timer>

<Incident>

<Message>Message in Incident</Message>

<Severity>Info</Severity>

<Detail>

<TestName><![CDATA[]]></TestName>

<Info><![CDATA[]]></Info>

</Detail>

</Incident>

</ResultElement>

this is a sample from the documentation:

<ResultElement TestItem="WshOutputTest">

<ErrorCount>1</ErrorCount>

<WarningCount>1</WarningCount>

<Incident>

<Message>some unexpected result</Message>

<Severity>Error</Severity>

<Detail>

<TestName>function main()</TestName>

<Info>some additional info; eg. stacktrace</Info>

</Detail>

</Incident>

<Incident>

<Message>some warning message</Message>

<Severity>Warning</Severity>

<Detail>

<TestName>function main()</TestName>

<Info>some additional info; eg. stacktrace</Info>

</Detail>

</Incident>

</ResultElement>

0 Likes
adi1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Gabriel ,

Thank you very much . I have at last completed the integration . I cant say how thank full i am . Hope you will also find great help when you have any doubts. Really appreciate your help .

I am planning to add few more things later .  Now the basic is working and i am very happy . 🙂 .

1, Getting the build number for the main Jenkins build Development build to add in silk central

2. Putting the stack trace if it fails .

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

hi adi,

1. i dont know if it's possible. at the moment i do set the buildnumber by my own.

2. you could add the stack trace to  <Detail> <Info> tag. i think this shouldn't be a problem, u could handle this with your parser.

i'm glad i could help you.

greatings Dominik

0 Likes
Highlighted
maximilianp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello,

We really appreciate that our customers help each other and share their solutions here.

Regarding your last question on getting build numbers to Silk Central: Have you considered the concept of Build information files in Silk Central?

It is described in the documentation Chapter "Build Information" and its sub-topics.

hope that helps

-max

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.