Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Which user runs an automated test?

Is there a way to determine which user starts a scheduled, automated test?

I'm having an issue where I write a results file a shared drive at the end of my automated test, which works fine if I run it outside of silk, but not if it is started by silk.  The theory is that perhaps whatever user silk is running the test as doesn't have write permissions, but I don't know what user that is.  Thoughts?

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hello,

you should be able to see the user that started the Silk Central execution server in the Task Manager. The user might vary depending on whether the execution server has been started as a service or as a process.

Best Regards,

Basilios Will
Technical Author

Micro Focus

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I haven't actually had luck with that, but it occurs to me also that it might be good to know where in Silk Central you find that information in case you want to change it for whatever reason, right?
0 Likes

That is correct. As a user with administration rights, you can see the user that started the execution server under Administration > Execution Environment. When you select the Execution Servers tab, the user is displayed in the Running As column. However, you cannot change the user.

Basilios Will
Technical Author

Micro Focus

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are you sure that means that that's the user executing the test, or could it mean that that's the user that's is running the execution server? Because I have an execution server running as root on a Linux machine and 'root' is displayed in the 'Running As' column. I don't have a silk user 'root'.
0 Likes

This is the user that is running the execution server, not the user that executes the test. And this user needs the permissions to write to the share. The Silk Central user is irrelevant for this use case. Unfortunately, you cannot specify the user that starts the execution server in Silk Central. You will need to log in to the Linux machine with the 'root' user and stop the execution server. Then you will need to login to the Linux server with a user that has permission to write to the share and start the execution server again. When the scheduled test runs for the next time, it should be able to write the results to the share.

Basilios Will
Technical Author

Micro Focus

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.