How can I configure SilkPerformer so that I minimize risk of data loss due to connectivity issues with remote (WAN) agents?
LoadTest data may be lost from Remote agents if there are connectivity problems. Such problems are typified by errors such as:
Loadtest Controller - 3223: Agent connection lost
When running a load test.
In order to avoid such issues it is important to use the correct SilkPerformer settings for the Agent and to minimize traffic between the Controller and Agent(s) during the load test.
During the load test each time the monitor panel within the Controller, or the Controller data source within Performance Explorer refreshes, a roundtrip to all SilkPerformer agents is required. Changing of these settings results in less data during real-time monitoring of loadtest progress. Nevertheless, all data will still be available for analysis after the test.
First, for remote agents it is important to use SilkPerformer WAN settings. Secondly, when running a loadtest you should reduce agent-controller communications to help reduce risk of connectivity problems.
1 Add and configure the remote WAN Agent(s):
1.1 Add the agent
- Open SETTINGS | SYSTEM | AGENT POOL tab
- Click Add WAN Agent
- Enter the hostname or IP Address and configure any additional settings as required. Details for additional settings should be obtained from your LoadTesting System Administrator.
- To check the Controller can communicate with the Agent click Check connection. If any problems are reported review the settings and retry.
1.2 Configure the Agent
- Open SETTINGS | SYSTEM | CONTROL tab
- In the Remote agent connection frame check the radio button WAN
- Click OK
2. Configure the Controller to minimize communications during the loadtest
2.1 Optimize the SilkPerformer Monitor to reduce Controller-Agent communications
- In the monitor window of SilkPerformer set the Data collection interval of the monitor to "Manually". The default setting for this is 1 sec. To check status during the loadtest click the Refresh Now button.
- Deselect the button "Display all Errors of all Users" in the Toolbar of the monitor window. By default this is selected.
- Do not check "Show output of WebUser..." in the context menu of the virtual user view of the monitor window during. By default this is not checked.
2.2. Optimize Performance Explorer to minimize communications during the loadtest
- Do not monitor the SilkPerformer Controller data source (Active users, Transaction Rate, Hits/s etc). By default these are monitored. To stop monitoring you can choose Remove Data Source from the context menu in Performance Explorer.