How do I configure IBM WebSphere Application Server 4.x "Performance Servlet" in order to monitor using Performance Explorer?
The basic steps to install and configure the WebSphere Application Server 4.x "Performance Servlet" are detailed below, you are advised to discuss with your Server Administrator before proceeding, and to review the WebSphere documentation for full information.
- Open the WebSphere Administrative Console
- Expand "Enterprise Applications" then right-click on the node.
- Select "Install Enterprise Application" from the context menu.
- Install the "perfservlet" application by selecting the browse button, locating the file named "PerfServletApp.ear" and then OPEN it. The PerfServletApp.ear is normally located in the directory:
- Press NEXT (about 8 times) until you are offered the opportunity to select the host. Select the default_host and then NEXT.
- Select the Server on which to install the "perfservlet" application. For example "Default Server(yourhost)" and then select FINISH.
- Now the package will be deployed, a message box will confirm a successful installation.
- Right-click the installed "perfservlet" application and select START from the context menu.
- By default monitoring is turned off for WebSphere Application servers. You may enable and change the granularity of performance measures to be retrieved. To do this open the IBM tool named "Resource Analyzer".
- Expand the root node and select for example "Default Server" then right-click the node and select "Monitoring Settings" from the context menu.
- You may select from the following choice of granularity: "Maximum, High, Medium, Low and None".
- To double check whether the perfservlet application is returning valid performance information open a browser and verify the following URL: http://localhost/wasPerfTool/servlet/perfservlet. (PerfServlet provides performance data in XML format.)
To configure Performance Explorer to monitor via the WebSphere PerfServlet:
- Launch Performance Explorer and select the MONITOR SERVER button in the workflow bar.
- Select the radio button "Select from predefined Data Sources", do not use the radio button "Have Data Sources detected" as the data source detection module does not detect IBM WebSphere Application Servers.
- Select "APPLICATION SERVERS | IBM WEBSPHERE APPLICATION SERVERS | IBM WEBSPHERE APPLICATION SERVER 4.x (PerfServlet)" and connect to the host running the Application Server.
IBM's InfoCenter: Exploring the Resource Analyzer"s graphic interface