How do I generate an MSI-logfile to help debug SilkPerformer installation problems?
In problematic installation cases, it can be very useful to generate a Windows MSI-Logfile to assist Technical Support in their troubleshooting. The Windows Installer log file will record all actions taken by the Setup.exe file.
In order to generate this MSI-Logfile, you should do following steps:
1) Clean out any existing registry entries for SilkPerformer, via Window's RegEdit utility (Start | Run | Regedit);
2) Create a temporary directory on your C: drive (C:\SPTEMP)
3) Go to the SilkPerformer package executable, and double click on it - select the option which allows you to unpack the files to a temporary directory. Unpack these to C:\SPTEMP, and abandon the set up process at that point - do not go any further yet;
4) Open the command prompt (Start | Run | cmd) and navigate to your SPTEMP directory (that is, so the command line path reads "C:\SPTEMP");
5) Once in that directory, enter the following line and hit Enter...
setup.exe /v"/Lv!omrwiepacu+ c:\SPTEMPSP731InstallMsi.log"
6) This will kick-off the installation process, and generate a "SP731InstallMsi.log" file.