Highlighted
dina1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to handle video streaming in Silk Performer?

Hi All,

I am testing a resource heavy eCommerce website with lots of gifs, huge mp4 video as background and high resolution images. On load, I could see that browsers like chrome/Firefox doesn't have a dependency on complete loading of the video where as Silk performer is waiting until the video is loaded completely. How do I move on with next request in parallel like in real life?

Currently recorded script has following line of code for video file.

WebPageAddUrl("content/media-tiles/video/Banner_160916.mp4");

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: How to handle video streaming in Silk Performer?

Hi Dina

You can swap out this function for one which doesn't wait, namely WebUrl, however whether you should do this for the entire script or just certain files is another matter.  if you want to open a support incident then we can analyze the script and make a recommendation on the best approach.  

0 Likes
dina1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Jonny, I am currently taking the request out of the timer and requesting the file separately but still I believe there should be a better way to do this as Silk is still going to wait for the file to be downloaded completely.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

You need to change to WebUrl and also remove the WebUrl from within the WebUrlBegin and End page functions - as those functions cause thread waiting which isn't what you want.

0 Likes
dina1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am using WebCustomRequest for the video file directly. Apparently the video file is 95 MB and it always crashes the LG every time I run the test. Have you ever encountered that?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Can you open a support incident for that issue so we can investigate further.  

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.