TerryK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to monitor a server before AND during the test run?

Jump to solution

Hello.

I'm going overboard capturing a big number of server counters and cannot easily resolve a situation.

I use a monitoring template for this exercise.

When I start the test, the Performance Explorer starts up, initializes and starts retrieving server counter data as it should.

Because of the amount of counters I ask for, it takes some time for the Performance Explorer to start the retrieval process. In the meantime, a few users have already started up and I have no server data during their loading.

If the Performance Explorer is already running when I start the test, it clears any displayed counters, and starts fresh the moment the VUs start executing, so I end up with the same situation.

The question is, how can I capture the server state before the test starts and not reset when the VUs start executing.

Using a ramp-up start of zero and a big interval, doesn't help since I'll lose the server data for at least the first user added.

Start time offset and warm-up don't help either since the server data starts coming in after the VUs start executing.

The only way I can think of, is to start the server monitoring manually and disable its auto-start in the Workbench.

Is there some other way, preferably by adjusting the workload parameters?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MS_at_CSC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: How to monitor a server before AND during the test run?

Jump to solution

From my understanding of your requirement, I would set up the test using the 'All Day' workload model. To initialize the test, I'd setup a dummy user with 'Start VUsers' and 'EndVUsers' set to zero and Duration as long as required for initializing the counters.  The real VUsers could be started thereafter.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MS_at_CSC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

From my understanding of your requirement, I would set up the test using the 'All Day' workload model. To initialize the test, I'd setup a dummy user with 'Start VUsers' and 'EndVUsers' set to zero and Duration as long as required for initializing the counters.  The real VUsers could be started thereafter.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TerryK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

That's a nice idea. Thank you.

In the meantime I have resolved the issue the way I had mentioned in my post.

1. I created a monitor template n the Performance Explorer..

2. I disabled monitor profiling in the workbench

3. I run the template in the Performance Explorer and started recording.

4. Soon as the counter values started coming in, I run the workload in the workbench.

5. At the end of the test, I stopped the profiling, saved the data and then resampled it to include just the workload time range.

I have to load this data manually along with whatever the workload generated but it's not a big deal.

Thanks you for the suggestion.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.