MS_at_CSC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is tere a SP 17.0 Agent performance issue ?

Jump to solution

Recently we uprgraded from SP 16.5 tp 17.0. At first sight everything looked quite neat.
After some testing however I noticed a dramatic performance deterioration in some of my testcases.

My scripts mainly consist of repeating WebTcpipConnect, WebTcpipSendBin, WebTcpipRecvClose and WebTcpipShutdown.

Whith absolutely no changes within SP-project and system under test the results of 17.0 and 16.5 dramatically differ. 17.0 agent produces busy times an order of magnitude larger than before! I doublechecked by changing back and forth btw. 16.5 and 17.0, rerunning tests multiple times, but the outcome is clearly related to new agent.

Is this a known issue, has anyone else noticed that before or do I need to take the hassle and prepare a ticket for support?
Going back to 16.5 for the time being ...

btw: other scripts (not sending/receiving raw tcp binary traffic but using higher level commands like WebUrlPostBin) are working okay, i.e. no significant performance change!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Is tere a SP 17.0 Agent performance issue ?

Jump to solution

Hi there.

We've recently discovered a change in 17.0 which introduced Nagle (en.wikipedia.org/.../Nagle%27s_algorithm), an algorithm which is meant to improve TCPIP efficiency.

Can you please try adding this to your script to revert the change WebSetOption(WEB_OPT_NAGLE, 1);

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ciaran.

0 Likes
5 Replies
shippee Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

We are primarily a BDLT script/protocol using environment, and it looks like you were using HTTP/HTML - but yes, we had some issues with version 17.0 agents to the point we submitted an incident with Microfocus.  I think they are aware of this and working with their developers on this.  If they are not I am sure they will correct me on this!!

0 Likes
Danny Davey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Your issue logged with support was specifically to do with BDLT.  I do not think the outcome of that will have any effect on binary data being posted.

0 Likes
Danny Davey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

There is a Hotfix 1 for SilkPerformer 17.0.  It might be worth applying that to see if any of the resolved issues help, otherwise I think you would need to provide your projects to support for review.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi there.

We've recently discovered a change in 17.0 which introduced Nagle (en.wikipedia.org/.../Nagle%27s_algorithm), an algorithm which is meant to improve TCPIP efficiency.

Can you please try adding this to your script to revert the change WebSetOption(WEB_OPT_NAGLE, 1);

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ciaran.

0 Likes
MS_at_CSC Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Yes Ciaran, this helped to solve the problem, thank you.

WebSetOption(WEB_OPT_NAGLE,option) sets Nagle TCP/IP congestion control

Options

0 ... use system value

1 ... off

2 ... on

Until SP 16.5, so I was told by support, the setting defaulted to off and therefore never caught any attention. Since SP 17.0 default changed to on.

Beware that this command would also compile flawlessly on earlier SP versions, although undocumented, but effect would be adverse -  setting it to 1 in SP 16.5 sets it to on, producing exactly the same negative effect as described in original post.

A request has been raised to include this option in documentation

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.