New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Recording excel in silk performer

Hi,

I am new to silk performer.  Want to know how to record an excel application(.xlsm) using silk performer for my new project assignment.

I tried with few protocols like TCP/IP, Mixed protocol options. But wasnt succesful.

Seeking help .

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi sindhu.

Silk Performer recording works by capturing network traffic at the protocol level (apart from Browser Driven Testing of course), so unless your excel program is generating traffic to a backend server, there'll be nothing to record.

If there is network traffic, you'll need to create a Silk Performer record profile to listen to the process responsible for sending the traffic, probably EXCEL.EXE *32.

Can you let us know what exactly the project requirements are from a load testing perspective? Or is it a more functional testing requirement?

Best regards,

Ciaran.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply Ciaran.

The process is about journal creation through excel. There is no backend connectivity as of now.

I tried selecting the excel exe option in application profile . My excel file gets opened, but no functions are recorded

If there is no DB connection part, there wont be any script recorded when the file opens???

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That's correct, there will be no function recorded since no traffic is generated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi sindhu,

If you want to do functional testing instead of load testing maybe Silk Test would be the tool of choice?

Just guessing.

Philip

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Philip,

I have downloaded silktest to record applications. However, my actions are not getting recorded (Even for any weblink like google). The highlighted area appears in green ,but my actions are not recorded.

I tried with visual test-> new project-> selected my web URL which is opened.

Any suggestions on where I went wrong.

~ Sindhu

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Sindhu, if you have a license either for Performer or Silk Test I would recommend to contact support who will be able to help you for sure.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.