Highlighted
shippee Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

SilkPerformer 17 & Memory

Jump to solution

I see SilkPerformer version 17 (as did versions before it) still installs in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Silk\ directory.  To me that equates to agents still not being able to use more than 3GB of RAM or so - how long before SILKPERFORMER might be able to take advantage of more memory - as in an agent with 16GB of RAM?  This would be very helpful with BDLT scripts, where it is rough to get more than 20 or 25 VU's per agent machines with current limitations.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilipL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: SilkPerformer 17 & Memory

Jump to solution

For BDLT the root cause for the limitation is not memory (RAM) but Windows and IE itself.

There is some limitation in the operating system and IE which prevents us from executing too many Internet Explorer instances in parallel (they become slower so that measures are skewed).

Especially for BDLT memory (RAM) should not be a problem.

Virtual user runtimes are spread to multiple processes (perfrun.exe) and each IE (browser) of an BDLT virtual user runs in its own process (perfBrowserHost_x86.exe). So unless a single browser exceeds the 2GB limit of a 32 bit process there should not be any problem with RAM.

I hope I could make this topic more clear.

Regards,

Philip

0 Likes
3 Replies
PhilipL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

For BDLT the root cause for the limitation is not memory (RAM) but Windows and IE itself.

There is some limitation in the operating system and IE which prevents us from executing too many Internet Explorer instances in parallel (they become slower so that measures are skewed).

Especially for BDLT memory (RAM) should not be a problem.

Virtual user runtimes are spread to multiple processes (perfrun.exe) and each IE (browser) of an BDLT virtual user runs in its own process (perfBrowserHost_x86.exe). So unless a single browser exceeds the 2GB limit of a 32 bit process there should not be any problem with RAM.

I hope I could make this topic more clear.

Regards,

Philip

0 Likes
shippee Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, thanks, then does this seem about right for 12 VU's running a BDLT script on an agent machine?

0 Likes
PhilipL Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Yes, there are 12 perfrun.exe processes and 12 perfBrowserHost_x86.exe processes.

So 1 perfrun.exe and 1 perfBrowserHost_x86.exe for each virtual user.

If there are more virtual users it might be that there are more than 1 virtual user per perfrun.exe process (you can change this behavior in the system settings / controller) but each BDLT user always owns 1 perfBrowserHost_x86.exe process.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.