Installation of SilkTest Workbench
Before installing SilkTest, verify that the machine meets the installation prerequisites detailed in the SilkTest Installation Guide.
Download the SilkTest executable file if you do not have the installation CD from Micro Focus Supportline.
Use the following steps to install SilkTest Workbench.
1. Locate and double-click the SilkTest executable file.
If you have a SilkTest CD, insert your CD. If the setup program does not start automatically, manually start the SilkTest setup program by choosing Start > Run and entering :\setup.exe.
Note: If your Windows TEMP environment variable does not point to a valid directory, an error message is displayed. To successfully install SilkTest, your TEMP environment variable must point to a valid directory.
The InstallAnywhere wizard opens.
2. If you previously installed a version of SilkTest, click Uninstall and then click Next to remove all installed features.
You must uninstall any earlier versions before you install a new version.
3. Click Next.
The License Agreement opens.
4. Read the license agreement carefully. If you accept the terms of the agreement, click I accept the terms of the License Agreement.
5. Click Next.
The Choose Install Set page opens.
6. Select Basic from the list or Custom and selecting SilkTest Workbench.
The basic installation installs SilkTest Workbench, SilkTest Recorder, and the Open Agent.
7. To include additional shortcut icons, check one or both of the following check boxes:
• On the Desktop – Adds icons to the desktop.
• In the Quick Launch Bar – Adds icons to the Quick Launch toolbar.
8. Click Next.
The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition page opens.
9. Specify whether you want to install the default Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition database.
SilkTest Workbench requires a database. If you choose not to install the default database, you must configure a supported database. For more information, see Configuring a SilkTest Workbench Database. Additionally, you can customize the default SQL Server 2008 Express database prior to installing SilkTest Workbench. For more information, see Customizing the Default SQL Server Express 2008 Database.
10. Click Next.
The Choose Install Folder page opens.
This video shows the setup options that are available when installing SilkTest Workbench.
11. To change the default installation directory, perform the following steps:
a) Click Choose.
The Browse For Folder dialog box opens.
b) Specify the folder in which you want to install SilkTest, and then click OK to return to the Choose Install Folder page.
Note: You cannot install SilkTest and SilkTest Runtime on the same machine.
Note: SilkTest must be installed on a local drive. An error message appears if you specify an invalid installation destination.
The location displays in the Where Would You Like to Install? text box.
12. Click Next.
The Firewall Exceptions page opens.
13. Specify whether you want to create Windows firewall exceptions.
Note: This step is only available for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008.
a) Click one of the following option buttons:
• Yes – To have setup create firewall exceptions for all SilkTest executable files. As a result, you are not prompted to block or
allow the executable files when you launch them.
• No – To be prompted when you launch the SilkTest executable file.
b) Click Next.
14. Review the provided information and perform one of the following steps:
• To change any settings, click Previous to return to the appropriate page.
• If you are satisfied with the settings, click Install to start the installation process.
Tip: If a message appears stating that there is not enough space while files are copying, redefine
the TEMP area to a drive that contains more space. The installer uses the TEMP area for unzipping files. For example, if your TEMP area is d:\temp and you are installing to e:\SilkTest, the E drive may contain enough space for the installation, but the D drive is the limiting factor.
The status bar provides information about the installation process. Upon completion, the Choose Licensing Mode page opens.
15. Click one of the following option buttons:
• Evaluation version Installs an evaluation version of SilkTest, which grants you full product functionality for 30 days.
To upgrade to a full version at a later point in time, contact your sales representative.
• Full version – Installs an unrestricted version of SilkTest, which requires a license.
16. To install the license file, perform the following steps:
a) Click Configure your license server and then click Next.
The license utility checks your local system for the existence of SilkMeter license server configuration files.
If the files are found, the configuration and type of license server are displayed and used for licensing.
If no configuration data is found, the Select SilkMeter License Server page is displayed with the default settings.
b) From the Application list box, select SilkTest as the application you are licensing.
c) Click one of the following option buttons:
Using local or remote server
In the License Server Host text box, type the name of the computer on which SilkMeter is installed. Do not change the default port number, 5461, unless your network administrator has defined a different port. Click Apply to generate your license server configuration. Click Test Connection to verify that a SilkMeter server is accessible on the specified host and port. Testing the connection to the license server might fail during installation as required system libraries, which are installed later with the software package, might not yet be available.
Note: In some cases, specifying the simple name of the license server in the License Server Host text box, such as licenseserver, might not work. A message box stating there is no license server running on the hostname you specified opens. To resolve this issue, specify the hostname by using a fully qualified name, such as licenseserver.mycompany.com.
Not using server (standalone)
Runs SilkMeter standalone. You are prompted to import a SilkMeter license file.
Click Yes and specify the location of your license file.
d) Click Close.
Fastpath: A working network connection is required when running SilkTest with a remote SilkMeter license server. If you need to verify that the network is working, choose Start > Run, and then type ping localhost or ping , or open a command prompt and type either of those commands.
The Install Complete page opens.
17. Click Done.