Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

My mobile policy is shown as checked out on my SilkMeter license server machine but has been checked in on my local machine. How can I remove the orphaned license from my SilkMeter license server machine?

My mobile policy is shown as checked out on my SilkMeter license server machine but has been checked in on my local machine. How can I remove the orphaned license from my SilkMeter license server machine?

If a license becomes orphaned on the license server there is no way to check it back in, other than to wait for it to expire.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide this functionality as there is no way to see when such a license is really orphaned and when it is checked out to a client which is not connected. Providing this functionality would constitute a breach in license security. If the license server could check in licenses, without first checking that they are actually checked out on the client, then we could be forcing the license back into the server and checking it out again to different machines, while the first client still has them checked out. Therefore duplicating the use of the license.

However, it can happen, for example by editing policies.dat, that you receive an error message that says;

"There is no mobile Policy on the local system checked out from this host"

when you try to check a license back in. This license is not fully orphaned and, because the license server can still check that it exists on the client, it can be checked back in using the following command on the client machine:

smCmdTool ci segue XXXXXXX

in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Borland\SilkMeter\bin

where XXXXXXX is the policy id.

NOTE: As stated at the top of the polices.dat file, this file should not be edited as it can lead to unexpected behaviour.

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2013-02-15 19:54
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.