Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
RAJB1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Available Options to Resolve Playback Issue?

Jump to solution

Hello...

It would be much appreciated if someone could provide insight regarding an issue I seem to be having when attempting to playback visual test for a functional processes. 

Thank you in advance.

Below is brief summary of the steps and corresponding issue:

1)  I first record a new visual test for a business process (i.e. create purchase order) and complete the process by adding items and other information to the purchase order.

2)  When the recording is completed, a new record is created in the application (i.e. purchase order #).

3)  When the test is subsequently played back, it stops when it gets to the test step that references the “window” from the original recording.

4)  It seems to be correctly stopping because the window for the test step references the record that was created during the initial recording of the test  case, which is different from the record in-process of being created during the playback (i.e. a new purchase order record)

5)  I was thinking this could possibly be resolved by choosing the impacted step in the test case and updating the locator window to the option of “Identify from the application under test”, but I’ve not been able to get that to work successfully.

Perhaps there is another option I should be evaluating or maybe I am just doing something incorrectly. 

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank You

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Paulo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Available Options to Resolve Playback Issue?

Jump to solution

In the locator path (this is found inside the object map entry), are you able to use wildcards (? or *) to replace the part of the locator path that may contain the unique values? After you apply wildcard/wildcards are you still able to locate the object in the screen?

Where Can i find the object maps?

Open asset browser (Ctrl+Alt+A) or from the view menu, then go to Object maps view and double click the object you want to open it.

Tip: In the toolbar of the object map entry itself you have the locate button which you can use to verify if the entry is valid when the same control is visible in the screen. You can also edit and modify the locator paths or item names by clicking the edit button in the object map toolbar.

Alternativately you may need to amend the default captured locator path to use another attribute that does not contain unique values like the ones causing this type of issue.

To identify what other attributes are available in a control with the locator spy tool do the following:

- In Silktest workbench you use the identify tool and then click or use the hotkeys to select the control you want.

If you then click "show properties", this will expand and show the available attributes of the control which you have identified, you will then need to manually update the locator path with any other attribute you may wish to use.

As we do not have details of the locators which are causing this issue, if you need us to help you further here with the locators, is it possible that you use Silktest Recorder tool to record twice the same the steps you described above, so that we can compare the locators from the first and the second recording.

After you finish the first recording, just select all the steps and then copy then into the windows clipboard, by default this will be VB.NET code (this code can also be pasted directly into a vb.net script), paste the first recording in your reply, then start over and record the same steps a second time, and once again, highlight all the steps and copy then to your reply.

We then should be able to compare the locators from the first and the second recordings and we can tell you what locator path values you may need to wildcard.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Paulo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Available Options to Resolve Playback Issue?

Jump to solution

In the locator path (this is found inside the object map entry), are you able to use wildcards (? or *) to replace the part of the locator path that may contain the unique values? After you apply wildcard/wildcards are you still able to locate the object in the screen?

Where Can i find the object maps?

Open asset browser (Ctrl+Alt+A) or from the view menu, then go to Object maps view and double click the object you want to open it.

Tip: In the toolbar of the object map entry itself you have the locate button which you can use to verify if the entry is valid when the same control is visible in the screen. You can also edit and modify the locator paths or item names by clicking the edit button in the object map toolbar.

Alternativately you may need to amend the default captured locator path to use another attribute that does not contain unique values like the ones causing this type of issue.

To identify what other attributes are available in a control with the locator spy tool do the following:

- In Silktest workbench you use the identify tool and then click or use the hotkeys to select the control you want.

If you then click "show properties", this will expand and show the available attributes of the control which you have identified, you will then need to manually update the locator path with any other attribute you may wish to use.

As we do not have details of the locators which are causing this issue, if you need us to help you further here with the locators, is it possible that you use Silktest Recorder tool to record twice the same the steps you described above, so that we can compare the locators from the first and the second recording.

After you finish the first recording, just select all the steps and then copy then into the windows clipboard, by default this will be VB.NET code (this code can also be pasted directly into a vb.net script), paste the first recording in your reply, then start over and record the same steps a second time, and once again, highlight all the steps and copy then to your reply.

We then should be able to compare the locators from the first and the second recordings and we can tell you what locator path values you may need to wildcard.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.