Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
cwBrendan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Microsoft UI Automation support?

Jump to solution

Does the Microsoft Accessibility feature in SilkTest also work with the new UI Automation framework? Based on info in the Silk help it seems like the answer is yes but I just want to confirm. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cwBrendan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Microsoft UI Automation support?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. We have been able to implement the UIA_AutomationIdPropertyId field and MS's inspect.exe tool can see the AutomationId field but Silk still cannot. Do you have any idea what we might be missing?

If I look at a standard Win32 control (e.g. a TextField) with inspect.exe I see that the AutomationID is the same as what Silk calls the windowid but for these custom controls Silk is unable to see it. I feel like we are close but are possibly missing one step that would enable Silk to see the id. Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ulrich_Kroemer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

hi,

the new UI Automation framework builds on top of MSAA (Accessibility) for certain technologies. so wherever UI Automation uses Accessibility there's no change for SilkTest.

but apart from that we don't support the UI Automation framework but rather implemented our own approach (like in WPF) as UI Automation is quite slow and also doesn't allow finegrained access like we need to build robust automation.

kind regards,

ulrich

0 Likes
cwBrendan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. We have been able to implement the UIA_AutomationIdPropertyId field and MS's inspect.exe tool can see the AutomationId field but Silk still cannot. Do you have any idea what we might be missing?

If I look at a standard Win32 control (e.g. a TextField) with inspect.exe I see that the AutomationID is the same as what Silk calls the windowid but for these custom controls Silk is unable to see it. I feel like we are close but are possibly missing one step that would enable Silk to see the id. Thanks.

0 Likes
Ulrich_Kroemer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

hi brendan,

what technology are you using? a simple windows (win32) applications or something else?

0 Likes
cwBrendan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

It is a Win32 application that uses MFC. The tricky part (for us at least) is that we are using a 3rd party library to add ribbons to our software. We found a workaround which is that since the caption field isn't actually used or displayed anywhere (but is visible to Silk) we are just appending the id's to the caption field. Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.