Highlighted
AdrianCumpanasu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sudden error connecting to database

Jump to solution

I have opened Silk Test after restart and it gives an error that in cannot connect to the database.

In the database configuration screen
for the SilkTest database option
when clicking on the validate button
it says the database unkown or corrupted.

Luckily I have a backup from last night.

How can I solve this issue?
I see I can connect to a STW_EDIT database. Is that OK to use?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Sudden error connecting to database

Jump to solution

This is the procedure for creating a new Access database.

• Open the Database Maintenance program (STWMaint.exe).
  • Select File | New Database | Access, a dialog will be shown
  • Type in a name for the DSN, I suggest using a new name rather than SilkTest., e.g. MySilkTestDSN.
  • Select the Browse... button and type in the name of a file, I suggest using the same name as the DSN.
  • Press the Create button, a dialog will appear (briefly) indicating that the database is being created.
  • The name of the database will be shown in the title bar of the window, you can now close Database Maintenance.
  • Start Silk Test Workbench
  • At the Login screen select the Configure... button, this runs the Configure Database Connection program (STWDBConfig.exe).
  • Select the Data Source Type radio button for Access.
  • Select the new DSN from the Select Data Source combo box (e.g. MySilkTestDSN)
  • Check the checkbox named Use as a Silk Test Workbench database.
  • Press the Apply button and then Close the dialog.
  • Back at the Login dialog the DSN should be selected in the Database combo, sign in as normal using the default userid and password.

There are sections in the help and the PDF files on how to configure SQL and Oracle databases for use with Silk Test Workbench, search for Database Maintenance, SQL, Oracle.

//*eggbox
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

STW_EDIT is designed for use with SAP eCATT, you can use it but I would advise against it unless you are using eCATT.  You can always create a new database using STWMaint.exe, this also creates the DSN for you, then you can configure the new database for use in the Workbench using STWDBConfig.exe (you can also access this program from the Login dialog).

//*eggbox
0 Likes
AdrianCumpanasu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you, eggbox, I have opened the STWMaint.exe, for an Access DB it asks for DSN(where I believe I have to insert "SilkTest" and for a database file (what file?)

Do you have a step by step procedure? I have searched in the SilkTest's documentation, nothing there or not intuitive to search for,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

This is the procedure for creating a new Access database.

• Open the Database Maintenance program (STWMaint.exe).
  • Select File | New Database | Access, a dialog will be shown
  • Type in a name for the DSN, I suggest using a new name rather than SilkTest., e.g. MySilkTestDSN.
  • Select the Browse... button and type in the name of a file, I suggest using the same name as the DSN.
  • Press the Create button, a dialog will appear (briefly) indicating that the database is being created.
  • The name of the database will be shown in the title bar of the window, you can now close Database Maintenance.
  • Start Silk Test Workbench
  • At the Login screen select the Configure... button, this runs the Configure Database Connection program (STWDBConfig.exe).
  • Select the Data Source Type radio button for Access.
  • Select the new DSN from the Select Data Source combo box (e.g. MySilkTestDSN)
  • Check the checkbox named Use as a Silk Test Workbench database.
  • Press the Apply button and then Close the dialog.
  • Back at the Login dialog the DSN should be selected in the Database combo, sign in as normal using the default userid and password.

There are sections in the help and the PDF files on how to configure SQL and Oracle databases for use with Silk Test Workbench, search for Database Maintenance, SQL, Oracle.

//*eggbox
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.