Highlighted
Absent Member.. cbrahms Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Predictive Analytics in SiS 11.23

Jump to solution

I had a few questions about the new predictive analytics features in 11.23.  I found details about this feature here,

• This post mentions Service Health Analyzer (SHA).   I know that SHA provides predictive analytics for multiple data collectors in conjunction with BSM, but is SHA required for this new feature to be usable in SiteScope 11.23?  Or are they independent of each other?
  • Can multiple critical business monitors include the same analysis targets?  For example if I have two applications sharing the same hardware, can they both include the same CPU monitors in their configuration?

• Can we deploy predictive analytics inside monitor templates?
  • As I understand, the benefit to this feature comes when multiple monitors belonging to the same business service are deviating from their norm and exceeding one or more thresholds.  The Analytics will alert when these correlated monitors are exceeding thresholds, hopefully pointing to a cause-effect relationship.  We will still need to set static thresholds on our monitors in general, but additionally the Predictive Analytics alert will tell us when there are significant deviations from the norm.  Does it only alert when the individual monitor's thresholds are exceeded?  Or can it alert irrespective of the monitor's thresholds being exceeded or not?

• Is there a webinar or more info somewhere I can go over to learn more?

Thanks!

-Carl

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Established Member.. kenneth.gonzale
Established Member..

Re: Predictive Analytics in SiS 11.23

Jump to solution

Hi Carl,

Please find below some comments about your questions:

• This post mentions Service Health Analyzer (SHA).   I know that SHA provides predictive analytics for multiple data collectors in conjunction with BSM, but is SHA required for this new feature to be usable in SiteScope 11.23?  Or are they independent of each other?

No, this is a standalone feature in SiS not related to SHA. 

• Can multiple critical business monitors include the same analysis targets?  For example if I have two applications sharing the same hardware, can they both include the same CPU monitors in their configuration?

I believe this is possible. I'll be testing this to double check.

No, there are no settings for analytics in templates as monitors need to be already deployed.

• As I understand, the benefit to this feature comes when multiple monitors belonging to the same business service are deviating from their norm and exceeding one or more thresholds.  The Analytics will alert when these correlated monitors are exceeding thresholds, hopefully pointing to a cause-effect relationship.  We will still need to set static thresholds on our monitors in general, but additionally the Predictive Analytics alert will tell us when there are significant deviations from the norm.  Does it only alert when the individual monitor's thresholds are exceeded?  Or can it alert irrespective of the monitor's thresholds being exceeded or not?

Yes, you need to set up static thresholds to determine whether an issue has happened. Analytics uses baselining to trigger an alert if any of the correlated metrics from target monitor beaches the baseline threshold. Please check Analytics doc in <SiteScope root directory>\sisdocs\pdfs\UsingSiteScope.pdf on page 1264:

If anomalies within application metrics are identified before the static threshold is crossed, an
alert is triggered informing users of a potential issue in the business application (provided the
Analytics status trigger option is selected in the alert action).

3. Root Cause Analysis stage: Provides details to assist with the cause of the problem
after the analytics baseline is crossed

If an issue is detected in the business application after application metrics have crossed the
baseline, SiteScope searches for a correlation between the application monitor and system
monitors that you defined, and provides a list of all correlated system monitors that might be
the cause of the problem in the application. It uses a correlation algorithm to identify similar
trends between system and business metrics around the time that the event occurred.

I understand the Doc team is preparing a pdf with more info.

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
4 Replies
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Carl,

Please find below some comments about your questions:

• This post mentions Service Health Analyzer (SHA).   I know that SHA provides predictive analytics for multiple data collectors in conjunction with BSM, but is SHA required for this new feature to be usable in SiteScope 11.23?  Or are they independent of each other?

No, this is a standalone feature in SiS not related to SHA. 

I believe this is possible. I'll be testing this to double check.

No, there are no settings for analytics in templates as monitors need to be already deployed.

Yes, you need to set up static thresholds to determine whether an issue has happened. Analytics uses baselining to trigger an alert if any of the correlated metrics from target monitor beaches the baseline threshold. Please check Analytics doc in <SiteScope root directory>\sisdocs\pdfs\UsingSiteScope.pdf on page 1264:

If anomalies within application metrics are identified before the static threshold is crossed, an
alert is triggered informing users of a potential issue in the business application (provided the
Analytics status trigger option is selected in the alert action).

3. Root Cause Analysis stage: Provides details to assist with the cause of the problem
after the analytics baseline is crossed

If an issue is detected in the business application after application metrics have crossed the
baseline, SiteScope searches for a correlation between the application monitor and system
monitors that you defined, and provides a list of all correlated system monitors that might be
the cause of the problem in the application. It uses a correlation algorithm to identify similar
trends between system and business metrics around the time that the event occurred.

I understand the Doc team is preparing a pdf with more info.

Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
Absent Member.. Disconnected Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
How can you remove the analytics from a monitor? I do not see an option to do this once it has been selected.
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Right click on the monitor >> Predictive Analytics >> Delete Predictive Analytics
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

Absent Member.. Disconnected Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Duh. LOL. Thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.