Highlighted
Absent Member.. DavidMolina_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SiS Support Tip: How to avoid performance issues with Services Monitor

Hi Everyone,

The problem I would like to refer today is when you have more than one service monitor pointing to the same host (Windows host only), for example, 3 monitors for the following services:

• DHCP Client
  • Netlogon
  • Windows Time

(Check attached file: services1.png )

Now the scenario where this can be a problem is when you have around 5 and 10 services monitors for the same host and you have the same group of monitors for a big group of hosts, for example 300 hosts, so this means you will have at least 1500 services monitors with the same frequency, also this represents a high use of points in your license (1500 points)

So, the issue we saw in the past is a no data error for several services monitors which can be the same or different host , if you check the monitor after you get the error and run it manually it will come back with a Good Status.

So an efficient way to monitor the availability of your services in the same host is changing the multiple services monitors for Microsoft Windows Service State Monitor, you can use a regular expression to match only the services you need. 

So in our example, we can use one Microsoft Windows Service State Monitor to check the availability for the 3 services mentioned above. Also, this will reduce the use of license; the regular expression required in your monitor is as follow:

/(^DHCP Client|Netlogon|Windows Time$)/

I know this can looks complex, but actually is very simple, the beginning and the end are always the same: /(^ $)/

As you can see in the example, the names in red are the names of your services and you just need to use the pipe symbol | to separate each name.

Check the screenshots attached to this post to see how looks the monitor.

Let me know if you have questions or comments.

Regards,

David Molina 

David Molina
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
3 Replies
CLEFEBVRE Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: SiS Support Tip: How to avoid performance issues with Services Monitor

Hello David,

I think /(^DHCP Client|Netlogon|Windows Time$)/ means I am looking for :

a service name beginning with DHCP Client

OR

a service name containing Netlogon

OR

a service name ending with Windows Time.

So, I think it's better to use /^(DHCP Client|Netlogon|Windows Time)$/ to exactly match the service name without any other words before of after the matching pattern.

Regards,

Christophe

0 Likes
Absent Member.. DavidMolina_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Chris,

thanks for your observation, I made a test and it looks like in both ways will work just fine, also there is one more variation:

/(^DHCP Client$|^Netlogon$|^Windows Time$)/ 

David Molina
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
CLEFEBVRE Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hello David,

"it looks like in both ways will work just fine"

I disagree, If it will work just fine, it's just because you are lucky. For example, when you want to check Microsoft CRM services, you can have several services with resembling names. There is no reason to check for a first service name beginning for a particular pattern, and to check a pattern within a service name and finally, to check for a service name ending with a particular pattern.

The second solution you have suggested is better than your first post but it's trivial to use only once "^" and "$", especially if you have several services to check. I think also it's more efficient for a regular expression to check once the begin and the end of a pattern rather than to check this for each pattern (service name).

Regards,

Christophe

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.