OpenView_Mike Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

SiteScope: Creating a Domain Filter to Target the WebLogic HoggingThreads MBean

Jump to solution

I've yet to find an example or template to copy. Any help would be appreciated, regarding creation of the WebLogic HoggingThreads MBean Domain Filter in a SiteScope JMX Monitor:

Hogging Thread Count

The threads that are being held by a request right now. These threads will either be declared as stuck after the configured timeout or will return to the pool before that. The self-tuning mechanism will backfill if necessary.

MBean Attribute:

ThreadPoolRuntimeMBean.HoggingThreadCount

Thanks,

~ OVM

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.

Re: SiteScope: Creating a Domain Filter to Target the WebLogic HoggingThreads MBean

Jump to solution

Thanks, but I now have the solution to the issue.

The ORB timeout value needs to be fine-tuned, to allow JConsole and the SiteScope JMX Monitor to connect to the remote WebLogic Admin Server.

By starting JConsole with the following parameters (on Windows), I was able to successfully navigate to the HoggingThreadCount MBean, and by hovering my mouse pointer over the MBean, was able to get all of the ObjectID information I needed to successfully create a Domain Filter in the SiteScope JMX Monitor:

jconsole -J-Djava.class.path=C:\SiteScope\java\lib\jconsole.jar;C:\SiteScope\java\lib\tools.jar;C:\SiteScope\WEB-INF\lib\wlfullclient.jar -J-Dcom.sun.CORBA.transport.ORBTCPReadTimeouts="1:60000:300:1"

Once this successfully connected, I snipped the following from the above, and placed this in the SiteScope start-up registry entry:

-J-Dcom.sun.CORBA.transport.ORBTCPReadTimeouts="1:60000:300:1"

Made sure that CLASSPATH was defined, and wlfullclient.jar is in the CLASSPATH, and specified as the additional CLASSPATH to load in the monitor itself...

Then, I was able to retrieve all counters needed almost instantly.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for their assistance, especially Kenneth Gonzales, who taught me a trick or two.

This KB article needs to be deleted/updated:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00465618

Maybe a PS, that says "it works, when you know what you are doing."

😉

Stay Strong,

~ OpenView Mike

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Tags (3)
0 Likes
10 Replies
RRRA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SiteScope: Creating a Domain Filter to Target the WebLogic HoggingThreads MBean

Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Please review the following steps:

• Login in the SiteScope server
  • Go to <SiteScope folder>\java\bin -> JConsole
  • Select remote process and fill the blanks with the information of the remote server.

• Go to the MBeans and copy the object name of the counter that you want to get

• And paste that information in the domain filter and put ; to the end of the counter name and test the monitor. 

Also this is additional information in order to create a domain filter in the monitor

Regards.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

I'm familiar with the process, however, your JConsole screen capture only shows the local SiteScope information.

My problem is that when I log into the remote WebLogic Admin Server in JConsole (which works), I cannot seem to find the Hogging Threads MBean under com.bea or anywhere, and there is no search function in JConsole, so I cannot do that either.

I just need the exact string for Hogging Threads.

Thanks for all your assistance. I know your reply took time and effort, and I appreciate that very much!

~ OVM

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
RRRA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi OVM,

Could you please provide the URL that you are using in the monitor?

Regards.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sure thing! I managed to get the counters to show up, by putting the wlfullclient.jar from the target server into all of the lib locations under the SiteScope installation folder, and restarting SiteScope. Then, I can just search on the keyword 'Hogging'; however, it takes forever to load, and now, when I select the Hogging Threads Mbean in the display, and click on the [OK] button, it is taking forever to actually get to the point where I can click on the [Verify and Save] button, so I am all done.

I am using a string, as per the following Oracle link, targeting the Admin server, not the Managed servers:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/web.1111/e13728/accesswls.htm#i1105652

I cannot provide the exact string for security reasons, but you get the picture, I bet. 😉

Thanks,

~ OVM

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
Established Member.. kenneth.gonzale
Established Member..

Jump to solution
There is nothing especial about WL MBeans. To get the domain filter connect via JConsole and navigate up to the MBean container that holds the attributes you want to monitor and get the ObjectName. You can use same method in higher levels of the tree.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK, after many timeouts in JConsole, I retrieved the following... let me know how to use this in the Domain Filter field, please? Thanks!

Note: It has been scrubbed of information for security reasons.

com.bea:ServerRuntime=<RUNTIME>,Name=ThreadPoolRuntime,Location=<LOCATION>,Type=ThreadPoolRuntime

Appreciated,

~ OVM

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
Established Member.. kenneth.gonzale
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Just enter the string as it is.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

I tried that last night, and get an error, saying no counters are found.

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
0 Likes
RRRA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi OVM,

I could see that you have an SiteScope support ticket open for this subject.  I will work with the engineer to resolve the issue and then post the solution to this thread.

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks, but I now have the solution to the issue.

The ORB timeout value needs to be fine-tuned, to allow JConsole and the SiteScope JMX Monitor to connect to the remote WebLogic Admin Server.

By starting JConsole with the following parameters (on Windows), I was able to successfully navigate to the HoggingThreadCount MBean, and by hovering my mouse pointer over the MBean, was able to get all of the ObjectID information I needed to successfully create a Domain Filter in the SiteScope JMX Monitor:

jconsole -J-Djava.class.path=C:\SiteScope\java\lib\jconsole.jar;C:\SiteScope\java\lib\tools.jar;C:\SiteScope\WEB-INF\lib\wlfullclient.jar -J-Dcom.sun.CORBA.transport.ORBTCPReadTimeouts="1:60000:300:1"

Once this successfully connected, I snipped the following from the above, and placed this in the SiteScope start-up registry entry:

-J-Dcom.sun.CORBA.transport.ORBTCPReadTimeouts="1:60000:300:1"

Made sure that CLASSPATH was defined, and wlfullclient.jar is in the CLASSPATH, and specified as the additional CLASSPATH to load in the monitor itself...

Then, I was able to retrieve all counters needed almost instantly.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for their assistance, especially Kenneth Gonzales, who taught me a trick or two.

This KB article needs to be deleted/updated:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00465618

Maybe a PS, that says "it works, when you know what you are doing."

😉

Stay Strong,

~ OpenView Mike

Best Regards,

~ Michael Stollaire
Tags (3)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.