Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. Disconnected Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SiteScope monitor count jumped 80 overnight - no explanation

Jump to solution

Hello everyone!! :)

I keep a daily spreadsheet to track monitor usage and last week the total monitor count jumped 80 overnight. This caused 92 more points on the license to be consumed. The audit.log do not show any new monitors being created.

Would you please assist in tracking this down? I'm concerned because that's a HUGE jump that negated a lot of work I did lowering the count the week before.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. LGentile Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: SiteScope monitor count jumped 80 overnight - no explanation

Jump to solution

What are you using in your spreadsheet (where is the data coming from) to track points?

Have you checked the monitorCount log file to see what the differences may be day to day?  This is primarily where I check, although I don't think it accounts for the OS licenses, if you have any.  You can at least see what monitors are deployed and the general cost of each.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Established Member.. kenneth.gonzale
Established Member..

Jump to solution
That's weird. What's your SiS version? I'm not sure if monitor creation action will be recorded to audit.log if not 11.2x. You may track down users logged in during that period and/if new monitors were created via template or API.
Kenneth Gonzalez
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Highlighted
Haim Shuvali Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Using dynamic monitors? such as VMWare Host solution, or dynamic disk space?

For example, if you are using VMWare host solution and new vms were added, new points will be consumed...

- Hemi

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I am using:

HP SiteScope 11.21 32-bit JVM, Build 200

I verified that when a monitor is created it is written to audit.log:

2013-03-05 10:00:53 - User: *****. Operation performed: Monitor '***** Disk Space' created in '[Folder]'.

I removed some data for security purposes but this is the gist of it.

No other monitors were created that day so I'm going to have to comb the audit.log to figure it out.

Is there another space where the logs may track when a monitor is deployed?

We do in fact use dynamic disk space so I'm tracking that down right now but as I'm tracking our usage even a huge deployment on my end won't cause but a 20 point jump... and that's ~4-5 new servers being deployed!

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

What are you using in your spreadsheet (where is the data coming from) to track points?

Have you checked the monitorCount log file to see what the differences may be day to day?  This is primarily where I check, although I don't think it accounts for the OS licenses, if you have any.  You can at least see what monitors are deployed and the general cost of each.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I'm using the points from the Daily SiteScope Report email I receive.

I have since created a scheduled task to copy the monitorCount.log so I can track license usage daily since the file is constantly being overwritten.

Thanks everyone. :)

Here's the .bat code to accomplish this. You can run this as a scheduled task (format is very particular with Server 2008). I had to research some information in a tech.net thread because you need permissions to share to a network drive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservermanager/thread/d47d116e-10b9-44f0-9a30-7406c86c2fbe/

It renames the file to the current date for easy tracking.

@echo off

copy C:\SiteScope\logs\monitorCount.log [Directory you want the new file in]

set LOGFILE=monitorCount.log

for /f "tokens=1-5 delims=/ " %%d in ("%date%") do rename %LOGFILE% %%e%%f%%g_%LOGFILE%

del monitorCount.log

copy "C:\Useful Batch Files"\*.log [UNC path to network share]

del *.log

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Does looking at the log match up with what you expected to see?  Meaning, did that help? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

As the log file is overwritten every day I couldn't go back to see what had changed.

It will going forward since I'm backing it up, however, so in that sense if I had this setup previously it would have helped.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.